Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-02-2011 , 12:50 AM

February Challenge - Speed Machne - TwistedDragon33

I want to get back into maya and i think this might be a good challenge for me. I will have to sketch out some designs before i start modeling so might be a few days before anything is started.

I've been checking out a lot of steampunk stuff lately and might be interesting. Futuristic has a sleek/stylish look and a natural "fast" feel....

# 2 04-02-2011 , 02:16 PM
I think i've decided on some sort of hover bike design. I'm not sure how i am going to flesh it out yet... hopefully i have time to try out 2 or 3 quick designs to see what looks best. Maybe a little "race" scene between 2 different designs.

# 3 07-02-2011 , 06:16 PM
Alright after many sketches and several restarts in maya i have decided to work on a toy i used to play with often when i was little. I had designed spaceship like crafts out of legos and used to play with them all the time. One good, one evil. I used to take them apart and put them back together so often i still recall the design.

I will take some liberties with it for detail/flow sake but hopefully i can get something going soon.

# 4 07-02-2011 , 07:30 PM
finally got something up. Not much to look at as i am just fleshing out the base mesh. I hope to have the hard points fleshed out and modeled to put weapons and engines on them.

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 07-02-2011 , 09:45 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey man how you been hope all is well and welcome to the Feb challenge dont think ill be in this one though

# 6 07-02-2011 , 10:33 PM
I've been well but horribly busy with work. Hard to keep up with all of my responsibilities.

# 7 08-02-2011 , 07:37 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
this one looks promising, look forward to more

J

# 8 08-02-2011 , 08:15 AM
Lifetime Member
good luck TD...this look good already LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 09-02-2011 , 02:55 PM
I'm still not sure about this. I can make it look good but i think it would be too generic in the end. I may change the design again sadly, i just hope i have enough time.

# 10 09-02-2011 , 09:20 PM
Lifetime Member
To me it looks like a Starblazer cruiser mate....they have a nice design and LOTS of weapons...I like weapons. I think the basic concept is good mate...once you add some detail I think it will look a lot better...keep at it man.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 09-02-2011 , 09:58 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did a little redesign of my initial plans but it doesn't effect anything i have already made thankfully. just the final design will be a little different but i hope it gives a better sense of speed.

Luckily Wednesdays are my slow day so i should be able to get some done on this tonight. Hopefully another render tonight that isn't as crappy.

# 12 11-02-2011 , 03:51 AM
Oh my goodness an update,

I finally settled on the design. The final shape is pretty much how i want it, which is great because now i can spend my endless hours at work sketching out how i want to morph the final design. The design was driving me nuts not finding something i liked.

I of course want to add more detail. This is just the rough outline.

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 11-02-2011 , 04:14 AM
Lifetime Member
My goodness an update! LOL...I dig the shape man...unusual for sure....guns?

bullet1968

# 14 11-02-2011 , 04:23 AM
Of course guns! None yet but i think you will be pleased with the final version.. user added image

I already tweaked some and added some. Im not sure if the intake under the vehicle will make it to the final.

I wish i wasnt so busy with work and obligations. 3 hours a week isnt enough to get anything done in maya.

# 15 11-02-2011 , 08:02 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Awsome!!!

Great shape, it looks deadly mate. I personally wouldnt put guns on it as the shape alone is working so well, Also the holes in the ends of the 'wings' are they engines too?? as you have that monster of a thruster behind the cockpit area. Perhaps fill the holes for a more aero feel.

Just some food for thought, but otherwise I dig that shape totally - good job

Jay