Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-06-2003 , 09:28 PM

1941 T-34-76E Medium Tank

Ok. I know that I shouldnt be going into something this hard so early, but I figure that it is a great way to learn many aspects of Maya, and an upcoming game is going to be using it in their scenarios.

My Goals: To make it look pretty realistic, while keeping the poly's relatively low.

Here is a reference. I think I will get started today, but I am already confused on how to do it.

Attached Thumbnails

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 2 25-06-2003 , 09:29 PM
And it is a scale drawing, BTW.

# 3 25-06-2003 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
Good luck with that- not an easy one. In my opinion, and this is only mine so feel free to throw it from window with a jolly curse, you might be better making something more simple but seeing it through to the end.

You seem to have some good skills but start a lot of projects and then stop them. Perhaps something from a tutorial or something? First model (apart from some weapons and game things) that I finished was the tie interceptor from this site. Learnt some stuff, completed it and it remains there to glance at when new projects go horribly wrong 8). As I said do ignore me but starting stuff and not completing it must get a bit disappointing after a while. I only say this as your post about making this seems a bit uncertain.

Rome not built in a day and it can take years to gain decent skills in anything you learn and all that. Feel free to tell me to bugger off. user added image

Good luck with this as you go- I quite like Russian WW2 armour, particularly with early war pattern tracks and I'd like to see you make it!

# 4 26-06-2003 , 02:11 AM
Well good luck with the tank, you certainly couldn't ask for better reference pics. Where did you get them if i may ask?

________

- Jacob
# 5 26-06-2003 , 03:09 AM
I would say make the basics on different layers, base turrets treads, and peripherls, just so you can get all the proportions right seeing how it sits together.

Then just expand on that, remember anything you use now as a reference you can always delete when you need to.

# 6 26-06-2003 , 03:59 AM
Witchy: You are absolutely right. As I was telling Michael a little while ago, my mind strays from my projects in an attempt to learn new tidbits of infomation. I should definitely try something simpler, and I am not doubting it in any way, but I am going to do this whatever it takes and however long it takes. I, too, am fascinated with history, and that is the main reason I decided to start on this. It is too hard for me to do, but I will do it anyways. I would like to do the tutorial you mentioned, but my wallet limits me to the free tutorials at the moment.

Oh, yea, bugger off....user added image user added image user added image ...........Just Kidding. I love all replies and/or criticsm that are sent to me. Well, not all of them.

Blinn: Yes. The amazing reference pictures are another reason I think i may be able to pull this off. I got them from https://www.battlefield.ru/camo/camouflage.html which has information on all sorts of tanks. I am not sure if it has any other good refs though, but check it out!!!user added image

twisted: Thanks for that advice. I will do that. I am going to make this thing one detail at a time. :bgreen:

Alright. I changed my mine. I am not going to make this thing a low poly model. When I get finished with the basic shape of the tank, I will go into more detail(abnormalities and such). Ok. I guess I better get to work on this if I ever want to finish. And I WILL finish this one. I Hope........

# 7 26-06-2003 , 04:02 AM
got some incentive, if you dont finish you give me $10... sound fair?

# 8 26-06-2003 , 04:11 AM
uhhhhh, We'll see. I think I will finish. As a matter of fact I am already starting, hehe. Actually I don't have 10 dollars to give right now.

# 9 26-06-2003 , 04:15 AM
Ok. I am going to post this, but don't laugh. It isnt textured, and the screws are just placeholders for right now. That is not how it is going to look at the end. I just wanted to show that I actually did something, which is unusual for me.

Attached Images

# 10 26-06-2003 , 04:18 AM
Sorry for all the posts, but the black background wasn't doing it for me...........................So I changed it........

Attached Images

# 11 26-06-2003 , 05:12 AM
Ok. Now for the tracks. I think I may save them for later. I think they may get a little annoying and fustrating.

# 12 26-06-2003 , 05:19 AM
Oh, and by the way. Why is my avatar not showing up???

# 13 26-06-2003 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
Great site dude! Got me inspired to add a gun to my apc thankx!!!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 14 26-06-2003 , 02:29 PM
Oh, Well, I love the great drawings on it. They are very accurate.

# 15 27-06-2003 , 11:00 PM

Tread Section

Ok. I just did a tread section. Does anybody know how to go about extuding this along a path??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images