Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 22-08-2003 , 02:15 PM
hah, just "slightly" overdid the bump user added imageuser added image

looks good tho

# 17 22-08-2003 , 02:19 PM
If you get the time, then i am interested in that tire tut also =)

Keep posting updates, and grats on the new car.
user added image

# 18 22-08-2003 , 02:36 PM
yeah i'm interested too user added image

# 19 22-08-2003 , 02:38 PM
awsome as always mate=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 20 22-08-2003 , 03:24 PM
Thanks guys... I got bored and I tried to apply one of my reference pics as a texture... It turned out alot better than I thought that it would... so I was wondering... What if I took a pic of the fender, and then the door and then the bed... and used them as textures?? The problem is the lighting and stuff. but i could take the pics durring a cloudy day, so there aren't any hard shadows, and I could wait till its really dirty, that way I don't have to worry about the reflections... WHat is your opinion on this??? as you can see, my nose is to long... Oops. I could just stretch the texture out a bit to make up for it. I have a 3megapixel camera and i could take pics of individual areas head on, that way there own't be any streching... Please let me know what you think about this. I could make it very realistic this way.. but isn't it kinda cheating? or is it still ok? Thanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 21 22-08-2003 , 03:35 PM
i dont think using photos as textures is wrong... a head i textured for a movie i was making was textured using photos. i dont see why people should have to draw stuff for hours and hours to make something identicle to what they could take a picture ofuser added image

# 22 22-08-2003 , 03:47 PM
Simply Maya OG
Yea. I agree w/Zyk. Its not cheating. Its just making it more realistic. Keep up the kick ass work Brian user added image

- Hybrid
# 23 22-08-2003 , 04:02 PM
I am so excited about this project.. It will probably be one of my most photorealistic vehicles todate. I spent about 20 min working on uv's and stuff.. This is just a test!! now I need to find the right place and time to take photos of everybody panel on my truck, make sure I am not in the reflection... and do this... what do you think??? (rendered with GI_Joe in 25 sec) maybe I could add dirt ontop of the photos??? so many options :bgreen: :bgreen: I think it looks pretty realstic, again this is just a test.. so the Uv's are still a little off.. THanks !!
Brian

BTW the cool thing if I take all individual pics, i can look at different angels without strechinguser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 24 22-08-2003 , 04:19 PM
very nice looking brian, as always, is that a reflection of you there on the door? btw, i would like a tire tut from you too!! thanks and keep it up

# 25 22-08-2003 , 04:22 PM
yeah thats me in the door lol. um... I can find ways around that though... This idea of taking photos and using them as textures won't work to well, unless my truck isn't reflecting anything... user added image because if I were to do an animation, the reflection wouldn't move around or anything, and it would look wrong... I could try to hide the obvious parts with adding dirt and stuff, or wait till it finally rains and get it muddy somehow.... hmm... I don't know...
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 26 22-08-2003 , 04:26 PM
can u try to edit the pic with paintshop, photoshop or something?

# 27 22-08-2003 , 05:46 PM
yea i was just about to say the same thing, just edit the reflections out and it will be fine user added image

# 28 22-08-2003 , 05:47 PM
or maybe even leave you in the side? so it looks really realistic user added image

# 29 23-08-2003 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
YES make us a tut!

Very good so far brian veeeeerryy good

alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 30 23-08-2003 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber
cheating!!! photos! not real textures! (just kidding...)

looks great!

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>