Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-08-2004 , 07:46 AM

Subdivision texturing problem

I've built a model (learned from the free cartoon dog tutorial), and now that I'm trying to place textures using the uv editor the program behaves like I'm having an old 486 or something. When I'm moving an uv-point using the move-tool I have to wait for about 10 seconds before it moves into its new position. This can't have anything to do with the graphics-card, can it? My CPU is an AMD2500+ and I've got 1 gig of ram. I've also tried to delete history to get rid of old unuseful information but it didn't help. Can anyone help me please?

/Quads

Edit: I forgot to tell you my graphicscard is ATI9700Pro...

Last edited by Quads; 26-08-2004 at 07:59 AM.
# 2 26-08-2004 , 08:26 AM
Try deleting the history. Thats what worked for me in the past when I had the same problem.

Dave

# 3 26-08-2004 , 09:31 AM
As I said - it didn't help at all. I just tried again and discovered that it actually took about 30 sek for the computer to move one uv... I must have done something terribly wrong?

# 4 26-08-2004 , 12:34 PM
I'm sorry, Quads ... I thought for sure thats what it was when I started reading your post.

I must have used my selective vision user added image

I'm sure some one here will know what it is.

Dave

# 5 26-08-2004 , 06:30 PM
I'm going to assume that you're using Sub-D surfaces even though you don't make mention of it in your post. Anytime I'm working with Sub-Ds I find it MUCH easier to convert to polygons, texture it that way, and then convert back to Sub-Ds. If you're still lagging in the UV editor may just want to check exactly how many UVs are being mapped at once. If your dog has 16,000 faces or something it'd probobly slow you down.

# 6 26-08-2004 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
tweeking UV's is much faster on low poly work cage than it is subD. With subD's even if your moving just 1 UV point on the subD mesh, interaly it has to move the all the UV points for the higher tenseled mesh.

So I agree, the salution would be to convert to fully to a poly object while doing the UV's..

# 7 27-08-2004 , 06:37 AM
Thank you for the advice. I'll go ahead and try that right away! user added image