Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-10-2005 , 06:26 PM

earth

I want to make an animation, where Earth is rotating around his own axis.
Can you help me?

The second thing, that Earth rotates around Sun, is another good thing. How can I make it?

Thx for answers!

# 2 03-10-2005 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
parenting helps you with that basically.... you can make transform/rotate nodes and just use those and animate them or use expressions to rotate them....

read up in the maya docs about parenting and using transform nodes

and lastely this post is better posted in the animation forums than dynamics/effects forums...

# 3 04-10-2005 , 09:08 AM
create the earth and the sun as two spheres and move the earth to where you want it to be in relation to the sun.

So after you move the earth select it and hit "ctrl+g" to group it. Now instead of moving the pivot point of the earth you can see that you have a pivot at the origin to rotate about the sun and you can use the earth's own "rotate y" atribute to spin it on it's own axis.

You could also add all the other planets/moons in the same way

give it a try, i'll post a scene if you need it.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 04-10-2005 , 10:34 AM
thx for answers

but how can I do this, that if I click the play button, ma "Earth" will rotate around his own axis? what is the expression, which I need?

and what kind of Sun should I make? A "big-yellow-sphere"?

thx

# 5 04-10-2005 , 10:40 AM
em keyframe the rotate Y attribute or write a simple expression that just adds a constant value to the y rotation. Assuming you call the sphere "earth" it would be

expression -s "earth.rotateY += 5;" -o earth -ae 1 -uc all ;

put that in the scrip editor and execute it.

And for the sun, man do whatever you want... a big yellow sphere is probably a good starting point user added image

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB