Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-08-2008 , 03:57 AM
Subscriber

creators of our 3D techniques?

i don't suppose anyone here knows who it was that invented some of the things we use when working with a 3D package eh?

i'm looking for the people who originally came up with the idea for:

bump mapping
displacement mapping
normal mapping
skeletons
rigging
inverse kinematics
particles
texture mapping
nurbs
subdivisions
lofting

and i think that's all for now....

if anyone knows who came up with these ideas, or if anyone know what i should be searching for on google, google scholar, acm, or citeseer that would be cool....

so far i'm not entirely certain as to what i should be using as my search query

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 05-08-2008 at 03:59 AM.
# 2 05-08-2008 , 08:29 AM
The "inventor(s)" of NURBS according to Wikipedia, was Pierre Bézier of Renault and Paul de Casteljau of Citroën.

Don't know about the others though...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 05-08-2008 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
right, so far i have a few names for this stuff

bump mapping: Jim/James Blinn (he goes by both names)

IK: a theory in robotics.... so i'm told to look around there... looking for any short cuts, does anyone know anything about robotics? specifically to IK?

Texture Mapping: Ed Catmull

NURBS: Pierre Bézier and Paul de Casteljau, orignally born from B-Splines...i should probably pick a more... uh... formal word than 'born', i suppose originating would work?

Sub-D: i'm told was G. Chaikin whose algorithms were later refined by Catmull/Clark, Wikipedia do not mention Chaikin though, but perhaps if there is a paper from Catmull and Clark about it they will reference him

Lofting: a term with a history... don't know who made the algorithms though

Particles: i'm told William Reeves was one of the people involved, but he's not the first

still missing displacement, normal, rigging, and skeletons... but i guess skeletons are explained by ummm... inspiration from living entities....

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 4 05-08-2008 , 09:11 AM
I have a vague memory that skeletons were pioneered by some company that was into virtual reality and simulation... It might have been Evans and Sutherland, but I'm not sure...

# 5 05-08-2008 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber
Sutherland.... dammit, i know i seen that name before today... i can't remember where
i think its one of the articles i found...

thanks Architect user added image

# 6 05-08-2008 , 12:48 PM
Drop an e-mail to Jos Stam, he'll probably know.

A lot of things are probably developed by university researchers in conjunction with the person.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 05-08-2008 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
who's Jos Stam?

does he know you? So if i email him and refer to you he will be all like "oh Stephen Sigurnjak, I know him, great guy, although i wish he didn't swipe my lunch the other day. And the answer to you're question is..."

ok, i admit i went snooping around on your CG gallery (awesome car crash btw) :blush:

# 8 05-08-2008 , 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
who's Jos Stam?

does he know you? So if i email him and refer to you he will be all like "oh Stephen Sigurnjak, I know him, great guy, although i wish he didn't swipe my lunch the other day. And the answer to you're question is..."

ok, i admit i went snooping around on your CG gallery (awesome car crash btw) :blush:

Haha, if your looking for stuff about 3d developemnt I'm surprised that you havent come accross any of his work. He's the principle scientist for Autodesk, he developed things such as the fluids, ncloth etc etc and he's a well published to boot on subdivision surfaces and natural phenomina in 3d.

I saw a presentation by him where he was showing ncloth, its based on such such a simple theory and physics its untrue.

Have you had a look for and siggraph papers as major computer graphics advancements are published there.

# 9 05-08-2008 , 01:10 PM
Subscriber
oh right, yeah i saw a video with him on the autodesk website...that was a while ago though, so hearing his name doesn't instantly click
Think a big awesome dude like him would even read an email from a little guy like me? :p

for the up-to-date state-of-the-art algorithms i've been looking around for what SIGGRAPH and ACM can offer

i've just been collecting papers based on their title and abstract and introduction

this is my uh... for lack of better words, blocking out phase of the research

# 10 05-08-2008 , 01:11 PM
ACM, I might go for a publication with them next year, depending where the conference is.

# 11 05-08-2008 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
so you'll have a paper published by them?
awesome user added image

i just found Jos Stam's website

man... so much stuff to read >_<

# 12 05-08-2008 , 02:13 PM
ACM requires membership to read their publications right?

Found a paper on the SGI IRIS and the Geometry Engine, but they won't let me see it without membership... user added image

# 13 05-08-2008 , 10:41 PM
Ask someone at a uni, generally libraries at unis have access (we do)

# 14 05-08-2008 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
yeah, we can access stuff from places like acm, ieee, and springer from uni, so im sure you'd be able to as well

# 15 06-08-2008 , 07:46 AM
You think they'll let me use a few gigabytes of their bandwidth? :p