Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-07-2010 , 09:12 AM

How to change axis of rotate tool?

I'm using Maya 2011. Does anyone know how to change the axis of the rotate tool or in other words rotate the rotate tool itself?

# 2 22-07-2010 , 01:02 PM
I don't know how you can change the rotation handle's rotation without effecting the geometry. However, I do know how to change the objects rotation without effecting the rotation handle. Perhaps this will get you in the right direction.

Select the object and open up it's attributes. Go to the transform attributes and then change the rotation axis as needed. See attached image. So, if you wanted to, you could set your rotation handle to world (by using the rotation settings) and then change the rotation axis values (in the transform attributes) until your object lines up with your rotation handles. Kind of hard to explain, I think if you try it out, you'll understand.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 22-07-2010 , 02:49 PM
Also, if you are just wanting to rotate the object a certain way and not worried about the rotation handle, you could...

1. Select your object
2. Display>Transform Display>Rotate Pivots
3. Switch to wireframe so you can see the rotate pivot
4. Create a primitive, such as a cube.
5. Snap the cube to the rotate pivot of your object
6. Rotate the cube until it lines up with your object
7. Parent the object to the cube (select object, then cube, then press p)
8. Now you can rotate the cube and the object will rotate as well.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 22-07-2010 , 03:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think all you need to do is turn on component selection, then choose the selection mask (in the status line) with "Local Rotation Axis" (I think), you'll see the pivot point which you can rotate with the rotate tool. Hope that helps (and works, I haven't tried it in a while so I could be forgetting)

# 5 23-07-2010 , 07:24 AM
Thanks a lot for your time guys.

I tried the last suggestion before I posted this question and it was glitching and was all jerky and so I was hoping I was doing it wrong or there was another way, but now it's working so I'm happy. user added image

So in case anyone else was wondering here are the steps to change the axis of your rotation tool.

1. Hit F8 key to go into component mode

2. Click the question mark icon that's located near the center in the menu at the top

3. Select rotate tool then select an object and click on either the x y or z that appears.

4. Use the Rotate tool to rotate the pivot-like thingie with the x y and z on it to where you want the new axis to be

5. Hit F8 again to exit component mode and now you can use the rotate tool on the object to rotate it in the new axis you set.

# 6 23-07-2010 , 08:39 AM
Lifetime Member
bloody sweet mate!!!! I was doing the reate primitive,snap etc etc I will give the last one a go. I find if Maya glitches (on screen) I just go to 4 panel view then back in...stops it.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 23-07-2010 , 12:22 PM
stwert, that's simply awesome. I can't believe I've been using maya for 3 years and never knew that existed. Thanks perfect_paradigm_777 for asking the question and thanks stwert for providing the perfect solution.

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 23-07-2010 , 12:34 PM
Lifetime Member
yes stwert...an ale or 3. Now how to get this geosphere script to work...hmmmmmm..bedtime now I think..too much learnt today.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes