Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-07-2003 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber

Skull

Hey everyone
I'm working on this twisted-ish scene which involves a skull.
I started work on this last night and this is what I have so far. (please ignore the eye balls as they are temporary)

What do you think of the skull itself and the teeth?

It needs a lot more work; I can tell, but I have no idea how to improve this model

Any comments greatly appreciated user added image

Attached Thumbnails

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com

Last edited by Nem; 04-07-2003 at 01:29 AM.
# 2 04-07-2003 , 01:45 AM
Well, you could first separate the lower mandible from the skull itself. user added image

Then, maybe grab ahold of those fine references in fineart.sk to keep on building it.

# 3 04-07-2003 , 01:48 AM
you have the basic shape down fine. Now what you can do is "harden up" some of those edges (a skull has much sharper and more defined edges)

Then use bump maps or displacement maps to get some nice fine detail in there where the skull has been worn away etc etc. You can get a heck of a lot of detail out of some very simple textures.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 04-07-2003 , 10:25 AM
Subscriber
it is great - right now it can go as funny cartoon skull. if you want to go for photorealistic, than the teeth need be a bit longer, and not round at the root. and the nose is a bit flat - even when most of the nose is not bone, the little bone still sticks out a little bit of the skull.

keep it up

# 5 04-07-2003 , 11:40 AM
Subscriber
If you do want to model a realistic skull let me know......i just so happen to have one lying around (ill take a bunch of snaps for you)

Attached Images

Monsters! Monsters from the id!

Last edited by mushroomgod; 04-07-2003 at 01:58 PM.
# 6 05-07-2003 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
thx for the comments guys! and thanks for the offer mushroomgod, that would be great user added image

with the eye sockets, are they just holes? or is it like a cave in the skull?

- Simon

# 7 05-07-2003 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
heres an update, well not an update but minus the eyes and for some reason it looks less cartoony without eyes, do u agree?

Attached Thumbnails

- Simon

# 8 05-07-2003 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
mhhh scary !! i think u can remove some teeth to show that this crane is old ? NO? user added image great job

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 9 05-07-2003 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 10 06-07-2003 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber
Mushroomgod.. im going to love viewing these images! One thing I just cant learn in my models is how to make the jaw area! This hopefully will help me understand it a bit more. Thankyou! As for this skull..its a cool cartoonish technique! You should cel shade it user added image. For this particular model though, maybe go to a cartoonish feel.. I think if you were trying to model a realistic skull.. you may have to start over. But yea, in any case, really nice form, nice and smooth as well user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 11 07-07-2003 , 04:57 AM
hey dude... it looks good...one thing that i noticed over the years is that there are many cracks in a skull ... even ones i didnt bash in lol... there are seprate plates in the skull ... so you might want to use a few displacement maps or bevel it to look like there are a ew cracks in it... also there are more rigid features... i aggree with what those other guys(or girls) are saying... ALSO... if u wanna make it super scary... u can put some facial muscles hanging off... just some ideas...

P.S.: i dont really smash skulls... lol