Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-11-2004 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber

Torch that emit light too

What I want to do: make a wall torch that will be animated and emit light.

I have looked at the fire ring tutorial but it doesnt help me to understand how to make the fire actualy cast light (of the appropriate color).

Thanks!

# 2 08-11-2004 , 07:26 AM
The easiest thing would be for it to cast a light would be to make it glow. Use special effects -> glow under your material's attributes, and experiment at will user added image. You'll probably want to post-edit that though... There are other ways but this should work user added image

# 3 08-11-2004 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, I will give this a try. I dont want to do post-render work on this because its going to be an animation and there will be hundreds of frame to 'fix'...

# 4 08-11-2004 , 01:44 PM
Well with glow there usually is an alpha... with programs like A-AE you can usually use effects based on that alpha., but you would just need that then.

# 5 08-12-2004 , 01:42 AM

More information

Heya,
I was reading the thread, and was wondering how did it work out and if you did use the post edit alpha channel thing?

I am also trying to create fire, wanted to know what is the best way, and if any of you could send me in the good direction..

Cheers.
Amit

# 6 08-12-2004 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
Hehe,

I havent had time to test it because when I was experiencing with renders and lighting strategy I saw the thread about light fog and insted focused on that (without much success).

Anyways, I still need to put a torch there so eventually I will have to face the problem. I will post a screenshot once its done!

# 7 08-12-2004 , 04:44 PM
Sounds cool man! would love to know how it goes..
Good luck with that!

Hope to hear from ya soon!