Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-04-2005 , 06:20 PM

UV Unwrapping.

i've been trying to model celebrities instead of just a random person.

I think if UV unwrapping is done well, then i think getting the likeness well is not a problem, if experience in portraitures and head paintings.

but everytime i unwrap a head, i always get lots of distortions. Perhaps it is because i am going very low-poly.

Most parts of skin, a little bit of distortion or stretching is fine. But when i am putting in a hard edged places (eyebrow, lipstick on woman, etc...) i go insane, and i try to go back and fuss with the UV map, but it doesn't seem to work out.

I do use the checker marks to minimize the stretching or distortion. I hate it how.. when i try to paint a really good looking eyebrow by using painter.. then where the UV edges are, the angle gets funny.. ugh.

i've seen several tutorials on UV unwrapping, and face UV unwrapping tutorials were kinda hard to find, and when i do find.. they usually don't go for likeness, or when they do, they SKIP OVER the part i need to know!!! hhaha.

so if anyone has suggestion on uv-unwrapping a face with minimal distortion (harsh angle changes) please let me know.

# 2 02-04-2005 , 06:48 PM
Subscriber
try relaxing your UVs a few times.