Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-05-2005 , 02:22 PM

Simple Model

Hi I'm really new to Maya in fact I only have the personal learning edition right now, though not for long I hope.

Anyways I can't figure out how to model this simple shape:

user added image

I'm working on just the greay part I think I can get the blue part pretty easily.

So I made a NURB cylinder for the shape, then I made a NURB sphere and shaped it just right for the divot or the inwards curve or whatever you'd call it. I figured I would also make a curve for the edge part and then just a flat back, I'm prolly going about it all wrong so any help would be great.

Also I don't know how to cut a NURB sphere in half other than changing the end and start sweep, and I can't get the curve right when I have the circle turned that way, I can get it perfect when the end/start sweep is perpendicular to the curve though heh

# 2 11-05-2005 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber

Nurbs problems.

Hi,
I'm not really sure about the modelling as I can't work out what you mean off that 2D picture, but

To 'Cut' your Nurbs sphere, you could use:-

"EDIT NURBS" > "DETATCH SURFACES".

Regards Scraggy

# 3 11-05-2005 , 05:39 PM
Ok thanks

Yea I know it's not so great but it's all I have as it's never been realized in 3D that's why I want to do it heh

I've worked with the image before and I see it often cause it's the logo for a community site I'm involved in so I feel I know what it looks like in 3D

Here's what it would look like from the side if a paper-thin section was cut out of the center:

user added image

Hopefully that gives you a better understanding of what I'm trying to create

# 4 11-05-2005 , 06:37 PM
One way is to create a curve for half of it, and then revolve it.

# 5 14-05-2005 , 05:17 AM
Thanks alot for the revolve suggestion, that's what I ended up doing and it looks just how I wanted it to or very very close user added image

Here's what it looks like:

user added image

user added image

So I want to make the edges metallic, brushed metal, so that would be phong right?

And I want to make the center to have a surface like a shiny blue marble

that would be the other shiny one? hehe

# 6 15-05-2005 , 02:01 AM
any help on texturing?

# 7 18-05-2005 , 05:03 PM
Ok well I've done it . . . as well as I can with no help hehe

here are some pics of it:

user added image

user added image

I have a question though, is there any way to get rid of the seam on the side of it?:

user added image

Also this is the image with no lighting, I think it looks fine with no lighting and I was wondering if you guys think I should put lighting on it?