Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-07-2005 , 04:44 PM

Hardware render and Alpha

OK guys heres the problem.
I have a fountain of water which is hardware rendered and the animation causes some tree leaves to come in front of the water particles. Now I have geometry mask turned on for this , but the problem is that the tree leaf geomerty is masked but it doesnt consider the alpha channel with which the leaves are made of from. So how do you get around this. How do you get the hardware particles to come through the alpha channel?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-07-2005 , 08:33 PM
one way is to apply a black hole shader to it or apply a flat black lambert shader to the plant that way it will cut out the particles. But looking at your pic it shouldn't matter because if you are comping it afterwards just render the plant, fountain and the house separately and then stick the fountain in the middle of the other two.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 25-07-2005 , 08:32 AM
Hi there.
I know what your saying but because the geometry of the leaf is much broader than the leaf colour/texture which you can see, this blocks out the particles completely, but in reality you should see the particles right up to the edge of the leaf colour, ignoring the actual poly shape but respecting the texture/alpha.

Attached Images
# 4 25-07-2005 , 08:47 AM
ok i see what you're doing. So do what I said and render the tree on a different layer! that way you don't need to worry and you can use the tree's alpha to place it ontop of everything else.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB