Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 181 29-04-2006 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber
get in on.., get it on...

(sung to the tune of...'get in on' by T-Rex) user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 182 29-04-2006 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber
Never heard that song before (Or maybe i just don't know the title user added image )

I am happy with this and i don't think i need to change n'e thing else unless there is something that is really off.

C&C Welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 183 29-04-2006 , 12:14 PM
Subscriber
Here is the basic base texture i have done in Photoshop. It took me about an hour and i think it shows my lack of texturing skill. Are there any good tutorials out there in internet land that will help me?

C&C are welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 184 30-04-2006 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
Helloooooo... Is anybody there?

Well, i have done my best to make a reasonable texture map for the face. It is very hard though because the renders make the model look plastick and don't look any good.
Does anyone know of some good tutorials.

Help is apreciated user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 185 30-04-2006 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
This is the coulor map. Is there anything i need to change?

Attached Thumbnails

# 186 30-04-2006 , 08:11 AM
You could ask yourself "Do I want high detail on the face or on the ear?" If the answer is "ear" then good, otherwise shrink the UV-mapping for the ear and enlarge it for the face.

# 187 30-04-2006 , 08:21 AM
Subscriber
Ok, I'll do that.

# 188 30-04-2006 , 10:01 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Some guy, this model isnt ready for texturing, no way. the ears are no where near right for starters. Dont dig yourself into a deeper hole until youve got the basics right.

You cant blame the renders for looking plastic. This my friend is down to you. You need to acquire some knowledge of shader materials. All of which there are information of in the Maya help.

Plasticity is down to how your specular controls are set.

As for tutes, I do believe there are texturing tutes here by Kurt and if you can hang on a little longer theres one coming very soon by my bad self.

Jay

# 189 30-04-2006 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
yea, and there is a very good one about the basics by Mike, its on his site and the link is in one of the threads here, forgot which one. but its very good.

also mate, check out the TAFE thing, week three is texturing and its dam good. I just learnt how to make and texture a woodland scene complete with fog, and it was dam easy and a guy with your skills will kill it. Your trouble is running before you walk, your good but there are basics you need to know, I don't, I know that so I do not start anything I can not finish. Anyway your model is great but slowly slowly, I'm a little surprised with the 'don't use' on your map but that might be a normal thing. many people have helped you. That doesn't mean I want your map (if I did I would clone the 'don't use ' out) LOL user added image

# 190 01-05-2006 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
I have seen other maps that have that on it so i thaught mine should. It makes it look profesional (Claps at how clever he has been) user added image

I am debating in my mind wether or not to restart the model. if i did it would turn out better because of the knowledge i have gained with this one.

If not i will stop texturing this aand work more on it.
What do ya'll think?

# 191 01-05-2006 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
how do YOU think.., is the question? Will you bang into the same problems with the next one or will you just fly through it.

I reckon, take a rest. Strip it back and keep at it.., or if there are fundamental issues involved you want to explore again, do another.

If you think it you can't fix this one because of fundamental Maya issues, do another

if its not broken don't fix it and yours is not broken, it needs work.

having said that sometimes a fresh start is needed.

I think YOU are the only one who knows what to do; unless some of the more experienced lads can help with advice in this area.

Often I start things again only to get the problem area solved but missed something I'd done correctly in the first instance.

'do not use' is a copyright thing when people are afraid their hard work will be stolen for commercial gain, meaning 'money' and it is the same as stealing from a wallet and totally reasonable to put 'do not copy'..., or some idiots want to stea; it for some adulation, meaning 'I did this, ain't I good!?' and those fools you don't have to worry about unless they are making $$$$$ from your work.

Some of the guys here are pros and don't want their work used without a credit or exploited and that is how it should be. At this stage I don't think you need 'look professional' my friend, though a good try and why not, but just give when you can.

# 192 01-05-2006 , 08:50 AM
Subscriber
I'll keep on going with this one.

Jay: Just wondering, do ya still have those pics that you offered before, i could probably use them now.

# 193 01-05-2006 , 09:31 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
SomeGuy

I was waiting foryour new email account then I'll send a zip across

Jay

# 194 01-05-2006 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber
Ok, i still havn't made it. i'll do it now.

# 195 04-05-2006 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
Hey Jay, did it work?

My net has been down for the last two days. Here is an update. i have changed the cheeks and altered under trhe eyes and have just been tweaking.

Attached Thumbnails