Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-08-2009 , 11:42 AM

Black Chrome Texture

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, fairly new to Maya, and need a little help.

I have an iPhone model that i have created (it is for my job). Now, I have never been good at texturing/lighting, and need to create a black chrome texture (like the iphone) to add to this so that when rendered it looks good.

As mentioned above, I am fairly new to maya, and the posts I have seen in other forums have confused me.

If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Rob McCarthy

# 2 25-08-2009 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
assign mia_material_x and click preset > Chrome in the attribute editor

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 12-09-2009 , 03:38 PM
Technical Director
You don't need to use Mental Ray to make a chrome shader.

Easiest way is to create a blinn, make it black, play with the specular roll off, color, and eccentricity until you get a tight, bright highlight. Make sure you have an environment, sphere, or something to reflect in the chrome. In your render globals, make sure that you have raytracing on, and the reflections upped to around 3 or so. Depending on how many reflective surfaces you have. Settings the render settings to production quality will automatically set them to 10. Then all you need to do is play around with the reflectivity attribute in the material.

You can also try downloading some from here: https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/do...&type=&x=0&y=0

Take it easy.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.