Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-04-2004 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber

First Project/SimplyMaya Dvd WIP

Well this is my first project that I hope to actually finish for once. I haven't decided if I'm going to go with Kurts finished model or change things while I'm modeling to try and come up with a different model... here's some pics of where I'm at so far.

Attached Images
# 2 27-04-2004 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
Perspective view:

Attached Images
# 3 27-04-2004 , 09:05 PM
Looks good! I'll have to get the DVD

# 4 27-04-2004 , 09:12 PM
Lifetime Member
good start Tim...wouldn't mind having a go at this myself user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 27-04-2004 , 09:17 PM
Great start Tim.... looks very promising so far bud... I will be keeping tabs on this thread=)

Keep going....

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 29-04-2004 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
If you are thinking about getting the DVD, do it!!! I've learned so much from watching the lessons, and I have so many ideas for different character models for this. For now though I'm going to try and keep with the original concept and then do my own thing afterwards.

Had some time today to try and get the hands and boots modelled a little. The hands were really hard for me to get a grasp on, I still don't like the way they look but I'm gonna leave them for now, so I can get started on detailing the head!!
Here's some pics of the hands and boots in progress.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 29-04-2004 , 10:29 PM
woohooo.. looking great..... Dont worry about the hands.. like I say to everyone else.... hands are basically a character them selves and they take quit a while to make look good... The more you do it the better and faster hands become in the future...

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 8 29-04-2004 , 10:47 PM
Looks like you're advancing quite a bit Tim! Keep it up!

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 07-05-2004 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber
Ok redid the hands a little, but I finally had time to work on the glasses, mask, and ears. So here's a little update:

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 07-05-2004 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
Persp:

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 07-05-2004 , 01:49 PM
heheh cool shades mate...... one suggestion smooht out ehe mask a bit more...

Great progress...

# 12 07-05-2004 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
looks really good tim, I haven't got the dvd myself but judging by the screenshots, your's is following very closely.

cheers

Rich
# 13 09-05-2004 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments so far! Kurt I smoothed out the mask a little but it ended up making the little indent I had bigger...but I think it looks a little better now. I also ended up giving him crazy spiked hair. I used your method for the helmet, but instead I extruded the faces (without keeping them together, and then scaling and moving them). I kept seeing the character with spiked hair with a fire shader color or something. Also worked on the glasses a little. Here are some pics of the updates:

Attached Images
# 14 09-05-2004 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Perspective View of the Head:

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 09-05-2004 , 01:04 AM
heheh I love the hair mate.....keep going.....