Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 02-11-2005 , 02:28 PM
The vehicles idea is very good. It was my second choice, because it would be great modeling a non organic shape this time. I don't care about the theme, I just want something hard, diferent and challenging. And not related to Christmas, please.
But I'm sure Mr. Mike has already a good idea in his mind...

# 32 02-11-2005 , 02:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
Wow, lots of good ideas here. user added image I'm kinda leaning toward a non-character based challenge this time. I'll definitely post it up asap. just want to talk to the mods about it and make sure everyone's ideas are taken into consideration.

# 33 02-11-2005 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
hmm got a good idea!
seen as though its nearly christmas i think its got to be christmas related, wot about "ure alltime favourite present u got as a kid for christmas!!:attn: user added image

# 34 02-11-2005 , 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Legolas_hv
i think maybe a christmas theme would be the best, same as we did with halloween

i have no experice of chirstmas as we dont have that here only seen it in some movies .. so id appreciate if its not based on a particular community :/

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!

# 35 02-11-2005 , 05:17 PM
lol that's a good point actually!! we need a non-discriminatory challenge! although you could argue that halloween is for christianity too but who cares user added image lets not turn it into a religion debate.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 36 02-11-2005 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
:|............ have u ever had a great present ???? in general?
if so then surly that would have been surfice, we have been told that christmas lights! have to be changed because of people looking at things in such a way now they are thinking of calling it "winter lights" lmao, we shouldnt be robbed of our belief.

# 37 02-11-2005 , 05:57 PM
halloween is fine because thats easy ..... all i know about chirstmas is that kids think theres a santa clause who brings them presents but its acctually there parents......and yes santa comes on this ride with flying deers

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!

# 38 02-11-2005 , 06:01 PM
Subscriber
lol yeah, its all good fun. the relieon side of it is kinda forgotten but kids love santa.

# 39 02-11-2005 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
Personally I think Pure_morning has it spot on - it would be nice to really try for something a bit more real, more everyday - something everyone could see or touch.

I think imagination is great, don't get me wrong, but this isn't SimplyImagination (although thinking about it... sounds like a plan), it's time we settled down and give accuracy a go.

For those who disagree, for those who want to learn more low poly/game stuff, sci-fi creatures etc, thats cool. Just remember a lot of people have been doing challenges for a long time - I know for at least the last 3 challenges they we're all potentially sci-fiable, and the previous challenge was focussed heavily toward games. I think realism would be the fair way to do it.

My 2p.

# 40 02-11-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
well said pal i agree realism is the way to go.

# 41 02-11-2005 , 07:21 PM
Have to agree with Alan. If you guys want hard, a realism challenge would be right on par. Actually, that was the intent of the Lighting challenge a couple challenges ago...it was supposed to be about honing your lighting skills and creating atmospheric moods but everyone pretty much mistook the theme's name to mean scary imagery...it really missed the mark.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

# 42 02-11-2005 , 07:55 PM
yeah, an environment challenge would be cool, getting away from characters for a bit user added image
something where you can put more work than usual into conceptualising a world or landscape or a real life city (historical to get away from the sci fi element?) or something

either way it'll expand our minds and improve our skill so give us your best shot mods user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

# 43 02-11-2005 , 10:36 PM
19 year Veteran
guys the only problem with have sci fi fantasy stuff is that it can allow people to be lazy. Think about it if you had to model something real e.g. a pair of headphones you can't just "make it up" and then tell people "oh I meant it to be like that!".

The idea is not about science finction fantasy "Stuff". The idea is about character. To come up with your own character.

I feel a non character challenge allows a person to be lazy and come up with a " pair of head phones " for example. In my opinion, there is nothing special about a car, house, bridge, or a set of headphones ect in my honest opinion. I see tons of that stuff on other boards. Getting pretty tired of it. You don't see many intresting character based projects out there. Non character doesn't necessarily challenge someones imagination in my opinion, but I could be very wrong. Character doesn't have to be earth bound, it could be Alien, but this is just my own opinion. It's all up to Mike.
user added image

# 44 02-11-2005 , 11:23 PM
OK, scene is fine, I would love to make a hyper-realistic scene (or try to :p) Thtats my idea. Either low poly character or a scene. I'd rather have the scene, aiming for realism.

# 45 02-11-2005 , 11:48 PM

Originally posted by THX1138
guys the only problem with have sci fi fantasy stuff is that it can allow people to be lazy. Think about it if you had to model something real e.g. a pair of headphones you can't just "make it up" and then tell people "oh I meant it to be like that!".

The idea is not about science finction fantasy "Stuff". The idea is about character. To come up with your own character.

I feel a non character challenge allows a person to be lazy and come up with a " pair of head phones " for example. In my opinion, there is nothing special about a car, house, bridge, or a set of headphones ect in my honest opinion. I see tons of that stuff on other boards. Getting pretty tired of it. You don't see many intresting character based projects out there. Non character doesn't necessarily challenge someones imagination in my opinion, but I could be very wrong. Character doesn't have to be earth bound, it could be Alien, but this is just my own opinion. It's all up to Mike.
user added image

I think what Alan mean is when you make somthing up there is no refrence of measure. So you can say whatever you want about the model and no one can argue about it. Whereas if you model, texture and render say, digital camera or a VCR or whatever you can look at it as really tell if its correct.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....