Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-11-2005 , 08:22 PM

What is Rendering? +other noob questions.

Hi,

New to the forum, just been looking at the site's gallery and I am overwhelmed by the quality of the work produced. AMAZED!

I certainly want to give this a good go for the next few months ( I have a website and if I could do something half as good, it would be a great contribution).

Anyway,

I see talk about Rendering. What is this? I conversion of normal photograph's and film footage into a 'animated' look?

Also what software do you use to produce this fine work? I have PhotoshopCS, Premiere Pro and After Effects but would like to know if this is what you use or are there actual 'Rendering' software packages? If so which one(s) are used?

Again, appologies for the noob questions but I really do appreiciate any help you can offer!

Sig free forever.
# 2 03-11-2005 , 10:34 PM
Rendering is the process of manipulating film/pictures and is a very generic term. In Maya (the forum's topic) its a process of taking a 2d snapshot of a 3d environment -- but the term is also used for processing film in AfterEffects/Premiere, exporting a DVD in Encore, and several other processes.

Say I have a 3d model of a house -- and I have a virtual "camera". In Maya I "render" a picture from the virtual camera by lighting calculations, sugar, spice, and everything nice. (Or turd, sulphur, and everything egg-smelling depending on artist quality :p)

Now that you know that Rendering is not the term you're looking for -- any specific thing you're attempting to do?

# 3 03-11-2005 , 10:54 PM
Rendering is combining all the layers of a piece of work (various textures and light effects, visual effects, animation and so on) into an image or video.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 4 03-11-2005 , 11:11 PM
Thanks guys (or gals). This seems to be a completly new field.

There is'nt anything specific I have in mind for a project yet. I make a lot of martial arts tounamnet video's into highlight video's and the quality of images I've seen here would make excellent shots to add into the clip's.

Just not sure how yet.

Again, thanks very much!

P.S. Just one question. What software are you using to make these pictures and vid's?

Sig free forever.

Last edited by Swerve1000; 03-11-2005 at 11:14 PM.
# 5 03-11-2005 , 11:17 PM
Maya.

# 6 03-11-2005 , 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Phopojijo
Maya.

Maya? Maya is a software package?

EDIT - Yes it seems so.

How is Maya different to PShop / Premiere Pro/ AfterEffects? Could I use these instead of Maya or is Maya better in some way for this type of work?

Sig free forever.

Last edited by Swerve1000; 03-11-2005 at 11:28 PM.
# 7 03-11-2005 , 11:58 PM
All of your tools perform distinctly different tasks.

After Effects takes video and edits it by rotoscoping, and compiling layers (along with so much more).

Photoshop does similar tasks only with still images.

Maya allows you to create 3d geometry and animate them -- like one would see in a Pixar film or a videogame.

Premiere Pro takes video files and allows you to chop them up, add titles, credits, whatever and export it as a new video file.