Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-11-2007 , 02:00 AM

road on a plane

hi folks,

i'm working on a maya project for study. first of all, i'm a complete newbie in maya, so i appreciate every comment that helps me understanding this tool better.

right now, i'm modelling a park. therefor, i use a polygon plane. after making hills and stuff with the sculpt tool, i want to create a little road that leads through the park.

HOW do i realize that as simple as possible? texturing every single polygon? using the paint tool (how)? or has anyone an idea to solve this problem in a different way?
thanks for your help!

cheers,
d

# 2 28-11-2007 , 09:10 AM
i would make the road possibly by drawing some curves for the edges and profile and then lofting. For the texture, i would probably, just do it in photoshop using various filters to create the gravel and some variation. user added image

# 3 28-11-2007 , 07:19 PM
Make the road a deformer for the terain then move it into the terain that way the road lies flat like is been bulldosed and such. I havent used one object as a deformer for another so im not sure how this will go and cant be much more use. arran was good with how to make a road. GLucK.

***edit***
alternatly to arran's methode extrude a rectangle anlong a curve to give you cleaner lines.