Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 91 01-06-2010 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
Hi Bullet

Feeling your pain man...

It can get complicated with top bottom left and right, i think i would move all UV's out of the texture space then select the shells one at a time, confirm them in perspective view, then put them in the top left or bottom right texture space.( coresponding to top of left wing, bottom right wing etc, in persp)

When you have sheperded them all, replace them back in the top right texture space in a logical order, your probably just confusing yourself man, you know how somtimes you select somthing on the right in front viewport and in persp its actualy the left?

or is it just me?

Then again ive been wrong before, we both know this!

free memory low..exception thrown
# 92 01-06-2010 , 10:27 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi guys,

thanks man, I slept in and have to rush to work. Will try again tonight. Dave, I select a UV then RMB>polygons>select shell then flip. I will try both methods when I get back home.

cheers bullet

or during my lunchbreak

paldav I was sure I did that initially, I may have stuffed it up when I duplicated the UV's following what Kurt did. I thought I had checked it but I mustntt have, ooohhhwwweeelllll. I did have it in persp last night with the plane looking at its ventrical. I assume the UV editor when you look at it is right hand side = right hand of plane??? or is it the other way around?? I am confused now, as a Surveyor when I look 'North' the right is on the right side of the page.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 01-06-2010 at 10:35 PM.
# 93 02-06-2010 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
mate being on the top of the world has you twisted -90 degrees
north isn't right
north is on the top, even for land surveyors!
i know i am, err was one!!!!
g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 94 02-06-2010 , 01:06 AM
EduSciVis-er
No no... when you look 'North', right is right... and left is left... and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... now you tell me what you know.

# 95 02-06-2010 , 01:25 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL g-man you are a stooge!!!! read this

as a Surveyor when I look 'North' the right is on the right side of the page.

see the word LOOK g-man, I think you must be lost in the desert?? LOL bahahaha I know what Im talkin about brother I AM A SURVEYOR and Australia is ON TOP OF THE WORLD my old china plate. AND right is right 'when looking North' you turd..LOL

Thanks stwert, cranberries?? WTF are they?? are little poisonous berries thats right. Ones that give you a dose of the shits on contact.

user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 96 02-06-2010 , 05:40 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 97 02-06-2010 , 10:43 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I dont know how to fix the inverted uvs need some one like jay, as far as I know this should not be a problem. What you need to fix is the bottom wings need flipping, if you go into front veiw and select half the plane you should see what I mean. as a last note the norms on the fuselarge are facing the wrong way...............hope this helps........dave

# 98 02-06-2010 , 11:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dave,

I will give it a shot. Im not quite sure about the normals??? Do you mean whether they are facing in or out??

cheers bullet

edit: yep I see what you mean about the normals!!! dont ask me how I managed that!

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 02-06-2010 at 11:26 AM.
# 99 02-06-2010 , 11:27 AM
The thin red line
If you go to display,polygons,face normals this will show witch way the normals are facing, to change direction go to polygons,normals,reverse. If you leave them facing in bump maps will not look right..........dave

# 100 02-06-2010 , 11:32 AM
Lifetime Member
GOOOTTTTT IIITTTTTTT!!!!!! My normals are arse about, not totally conclusive yet but you got it dave, you f....n pearler of a person you sweet thing you!!!!!!

Tarzan call >>>>>>>>>>beer>>>>>>mutual delight from bewildered family....bro hug man!!!

cheers bullet

bugger bugger I spoke too soon dave .,',./,;';[][./,.',./';][\[]-90-=0-=p'
/'

P.S I knew how to check the normals mate, found that by exploring a while back, thanks but!!! It didnt help cos to change it the normals are in reverse but the UV turns blue. I will just UV the damn thing again...until I learn some more of this witchery

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 02-06-2010 at 11:55 AM.
# 101 02-06-2010 , 02:35 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Know I changed the norms I have what I would expect one half red one blue, work with this like it is. you are not going to use a displacement or fur should be ok to texture..............dave

# 102 02-06-2010 , 09:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Only bump mapping as far as I know dave, for the rivets etc and the tyres.
Yeh I will just flip the norms and texture it, see what happens. I can always go back and do it again. Thanks for your help in this heartbreaking and shattering moent in my life..

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 103 05-12-2010 , 02:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok I have re-visited this nightmare of a model. I have started texturing again.......lets see what happens!! I have the original...slightly edited and a new one with all the normals placed correctly...I would like to see this litlle experiment show me what I did wrong when making the model.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 104 05-12-2010 , 03:12 AM
One trick so you do not shoot yourself in the foot with normals is to turn off lighting>two sided lighting. I alway model with that turned off. This way you see which way your normals are facing all the time.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 105 05-12-2010 , 05:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ct...I do that now...after this stuff up...I still cant get the UV's to face the right way...I must still have my brain in noob mode. But yes you are right.....thanks mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968