Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 29-03-2007 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber
I've got to size up the glue a lot... just noticed :/ It's under the switch and under the first bit of cork. Far too hard to see at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 29-03-2007 , 07:58 PM
Banned
Nice render man, love the model. Are you going to be texturing it?

# 18 30-03-2007 , 05:43 AM
Subscriber
Thanks meredith, the model will be fully textured with color, normal, occlusion and gloss maps. UV'ing is on the way after some changes to the model.

I've have a list of the things i've been told to change by my acting 'boss' (my ex-tutor):

The lollypop stick blades are too short. Need to add about another 'inch' to them all.

EDit: Almost forgot, I've been asked to strengthen or add support to the front wood struts.

Change the front wheels a bit to give a more interesting shape.

Get rid of a few 5-siders i missed (user added image doh)

Apart from that he said it was looking good, so hopefully I'll be able to begin UV'ing later this afternoon. UV'ing will take about 2 days (I might do 2 sets - 1 normal/occ and 1 for colour/gloss).

Last edited by petrol; 30-03-2007 at 05:56 AM.
# 19 30-03-2007 , 06:36 AM
Acid44
looks good man i say you should turn the wheels into little thread spools... just my opinion...

KUTGWuser added image

# 20 30-03-2007 , 07:00 AM
Subscriber
Cheers mate, yeah I know what you mean about thread spools they almost look like them already... but ultimately the task is to follow the reference as close as possible so I can't take those kinds of artistic liberties. user added image

Just sorted the rotor blades out... to me they look a bit too long now but when I look back at my previous renders they did look short before. Ho hum. :/

Worked a tiny bit on the wheels but not happy with them so I'll play a bit further with them when I've placed the new support beam. I'll do another render later when I'm officially 'done'.

# 21 31-03-2007 , 05:20 AM
I like it! Keep up the good work!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 22 01-04-2007 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
Cheers wasatch5_sparticus! Well after a couple of minor changes, my model has now been approved to move on to UV. So without further ado, I'm getting on that today! In the meantime, here's a couple of up-to-date AO's.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 01-04-2007 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
# 24 02-04-2007 , 02:07 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL, Bloody typical!!user added image

yeah I saw this, nice design. My only gripe are those blades, they look like icepop sticks. longer and thinner are gonna improve those. Get some gyrocopter references, like Little Nelly' from James Bond

Otherwise nice

Jay

# 25 02-04-2007 , 03:39 PM
hahaha if you've been reading the updates i'm pretty sure they're supposed to be popsicle sticks... he's already got bottlecaps and a 9V battery in it. user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 26 02-04-2007 , 04:26 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Neostrider

No I haven't, like most people I dont check every posting made, despite being part of admin. This particular posting came to me via PM from Petrol himself to get a more honest opinion on the whole model. I kind of got the idea of what it was made of anyhow, but to justify this taking off I felt it needed to have longer, and perhaps more flexible blades like that of a gyrocopter.

Many thanks for your heads up though, I'll look before I leap next time...

Cheers
Jay

# 27 02-04-2007 , 07:50 PM
And those wheels remind me of computer-chair wheels...well, the front ones anyway.

# 28 02-04-2007 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
LOL Jay user added image

That made me chuckle. Yeah this this is supposed to be a balance between fantasy and reality. A bit like stuart little or similar. I'll extend the lolly sticks a bit further, but I cant change them as they are part of the concept. Cheers for taking a peek for me dude.

Oh by the way severinianthony, they are indeed casters for a chair or something similar like a cabinet. As it happens they look a lot like my computer chair's wheels too user added image

Last edited by petrol; 02-04-2007 at 10:25 PM.
# 29 08-04-2007 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber
Update: Model was approved, so I began UV'ing a week ago, but i've been working on a competition entry for another site for a couple of days and went to see relatives for the bank holiday weekend. I've put in some serious work on it now though, and I'm pleased to be now over the halfway mark, and hope to be fully UV'd by the end of tonight.

Roll on the texturing - looking forward to some normal mapping now.