Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-04-2007 , 03:50 PM

Extruding and Vertex problematic issue

Hello everybody

Why while im extruding edges my vertexes are spliting and not staying as one vertex ?

and another problem with Face Extruding , why while im exturding faces something like this appering ?

user added image

Please help me

Last edited by DJackie; 12-04-2007 at 03:53 PM.
# 2 13-04-2007 , 01:25 AM
Depending on what version of Maya you have, goto the edit polygon or edit mesh menu and there should be a "keep faces together" option. Make sure it's checked.

As far as your vertexes splitting, not sure what you mean. Try checking your Extrude options box (after you select an edge) to see if the Divisions is set to "1".

P.S. I think these answers are in the newbie forum.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 13-04-2007 , 09:48 AM
I mean that when im extruding edges my vertexes become two and i need to merge every vertex.

And to the Fce Extruding thank you that worked .

P.S Im using maya 7 unlimited right now.

# 4 13-04-2007 , 11:06 AM
I'll check out the vertex problem on my computer tonight. But, hopefully someone will post an answer by then. I won't get home for another 9 hours.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 13-04-2007 , 11:59 AM
Senior Software Developer
When Extruding Multiple Faces , always ensure you have the Keep Faces Together Option turned on. The issue above shows this off quite well.

Click Polygons > Tool Options > Keep Faces Together

Once you have done that, when you extract multiple polygons these "ridges" will not be there.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 13-04-2007 , 12:16 PM
Oh ...
So I hope someone could figure out what is my problem before you get home and if not I will just wait.

# 7 13-04-2007 , 01:13 PM
I went home on my lunch break but could not duplicate the vertex problem. Is there any chance you were extruding an edge on a face that you previously extruded, before you selected keep faces together. If so, then perhaps that's where the extra vertices came from.

Just for kicks and grins, create a polygon box. Select an edge and extrude it. Then check to see if the vertices are still multiplying on you. If not, then it may have just been from the extra unwanted faces created earlier.

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 14-04-2007 , 10:40 AM
I checked that and you were right that was the problem .

Thank you very much for all the help.