Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-11-2007 , 03:17 PM

Alpha channel set up?

Hi,

using an image plane to texture an eyebrow, I've for an alphachannel that matches to hairs exactly.

Tried saving as a tiff a and a targa, which automatically assigns the file to transparency. This didn't work, tried in the connection editor to manually assign the out alpha to the transparency r, g and b. This didn't work either.

Tried inverting the alpha channel in photoshop, since I wasn't sure it maya read white or black as transparent. This didn't work either.

anyone know what's happening?

thanks,

gubar

# 2 12-11-2007 , 03:40 PM
Got it partially working, with white as the transparent background in the alpha (which surprised me, I thought it was the other way about?).

Still got a problem; though it is transparent, when I layer them, I can still see the background, but I can't see the layer under it (was going to have layers of hair for the brows and the head hair, this is just a very rough test of the technique).

I've tried setting mental ray's trace depth higher, but still I can't see the underneath layer's colour.

again, any help would be great.

thanks,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 13-11-2007 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
I'm not an expert on that, but whenever I use transparency I use .png's they've always done the job for me

www.animateme.me.uk