Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-10-2007 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber

Fur on polys

Hi i am trying to make a squrriel, i am kind of a newbie but this a school project that i really need to manage.

I made the squrriel with the modelling techniques found in the Cartoon Dog and Orc Head tutorial. Ive used NURBS, converted to polys.

When i try to attach a fur description it is crazy, it just doesnt handle well at all. Ive tried to normalise UVs and averaged Normals, but same problem. What is the trick to do this right?

You can reproduce the problem by making a Nurbs sphere, converting it to Polys and try to attach a fur. Why does this behave different that attaching the fur to a Poly sphere at the beginning?

# 2 14-10-2007 , 05:14 PM
You need to have your UV's laid out prior to adding the fur, this might be why its going crazy

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 14-10-2007 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
Ok, like i said i am a newbie and havent done any texturing earlier, just some modelling.

Is there an easy explanation on this or any good tutorial og resources i can read?

Thanks..

# 4 14-10-2007 , 05:38 PM
Theres quite a few tutorials out there on the web for texturing in maya, a goodle should bring them up.

Also the help files should give you a start in understanding the concepts, as well as a few tutorials.

For a test you could just use the auto map function and then apply the fur to see if thats the problem

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 14-10-2007 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber
Ok, that seems to help, auto mapping did help so then ill hope that i manage to learn enough about texturering UV-mapping to do this. Thanks for the help.