Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-08-2011 , 12:26 PM

Stupid question about Maya rendering?

Ok sorry for the stupid question but I just can't seem to find an answer outside of a forum. What I want to know is how can you render scenes in perspective view? All frames? Seen a some videos on youtube of photorealistic scenes rendered in 3d view but I can't seem to find out how. I've heard they use different programs like Lightwave but I tried it and it won't read any of maya's formats (mb or ma). How do they do it? Would really really like to know pleaseuser added image

# 2 22-08-2011 , 03:02 PM
The Nurb Herd
are you talking about rendering stereoscopically or just how to render something?

# 3 22-08-2011 , 03:35 PM

are you talking about rendering stereoscopically or just how to render something?

I mean to render the whole scene.. the whole thing and still be able to rotate around it and zoom in etc. Not a single frame like maya does

# 4 22-08-2011 , 06:57 PM
SM Tea Boy

I mean to render the whole scene.. the whole thing and still be able to rotate around it and zoom in etc. Not a single frame like maya does

You can't. You can get close with a couple of high-end Nvida gfx cards and a copy of octane render but even this is limited. You have to render a frame at a time.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 22-08-2011 , 07:43 PM
Even Lightwave and Modo do not render in real time. They do continuously render a scene but you have to give them time to complete the render. If you rotate the camera they will re-render the scene (which starts out pixelated and gradually becomes clear). Like Dave says there are some very high end gpu's and systems that come close but there none that do real time rendering especially with ray tracing and other things like final gather and global illumination.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 22-08-2011 , 07:48 PM

Even Lightwave and Modo do not render in real time. They do continuously render a scene but you have to give them time to complete the render. If you rotate the camera they will re-render the scene (which starts out pixelated and gradually becomes clear). Like Dave says there are some very high end gpu's and systems that come close but there none that do real time rendering especially with ray tracing and other things like final gather and global illumination.

Ok, I understand, thanks for the replies. I would really appreciate if you would tell me how this was made

Photorealistic male model -- Ten24 - YouTube

Because that's what made me wonder in the first place. It doesn't look like it takes time to re-render the scene as the camera rotates. I've been searching the whole day for an answer for this

# 7 22-08-2011 , 08:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
it says in the video. Its all baked in the texture.

# 8 22-08-2011 , 08:16 PM

it says in the video. Its all baked in the texture.

Oh. Fascinating. Well, I guess tomorrow I spend the day finding out what that is and how to do it.