Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-04-2003 , 12:43 AM

Radius constraint

Hey guys, I gotta admit that I joined up so I can sove this problem user added image but this look slike a good forum to check out anyway.

I'm trying to constrain one locator to a fixed radius from another locator. Sounds easy, but I've tried a hundred ways of doing this with no success.

With the distanceDimnesion command you can define the distance and get a value - but you can't limit it! anoying.

I wont go into all my other attempts, but one way that sort of works is constraining the outside locator to the geometry of a sphere who's pivot point is on the inside locator. This works pretty well, but once I start scaling up the sphere (which I need to be able to do) the outside locator jumps around a little. Nothing I can do to stop this.

So, my question is, is there a way to do this mathematicly? or maybe theres a simpler way I havn't seen yet?

thanks for any help - alex.

# 2 07-04-2003 , 03:47 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm not sure I'm grasping what you're trying to do, but would Set Driven Key be something you could do for this?

# 3 07-04-2003 , 04:12 AM
Hey Mike, cheers for the reply. Basicaly I'm trying to create a Distance Constraint. - I'd like to contrain one locator to a certain distance from another.

any ideas?

-alex.

# 4 08-04-2003 , 08:18 AM
have you tried using the offset value for the constraint?

Cam
# 5 08-04-2003 , 08:34 AM
hey Cammm, did you reply to this on cgTalk as well?

if not, I'll give the same reply I gave before. using any point constraint with or without an offset value would lock the contrained locator to a position.

I want to be able to move the contrained locator to within a sphere of influence - or distance.

e.g. exactly like the Distance Contraint in XSI.