Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-05-2003 , 01:00 AM

Patch model question...

hello everyone,..
I am trying to do this HighEnd3D tutorial, and it looks like I need a little help from you guys..

###############################
Step 2.

Next, go -Create -Cp curve tool, and create curves where you have drawn the lines - see

user added image

Each side of the later-to-be-patch is one unique curve. Hold C while drawing another curve to have the first curve point snap at the previous curve, and when releasing, make sure it's at the end of the curve you snap to, so the curves meet perfectly.

At this point it isn't important to have the curves at the same number of points, that is a later issue. One thing to aim at though is to keep the amount of points at each curve as low as possible, so that when you pull them out to form a 3d curve cage you simply have less points to shape with.

user added image
###############################

see, there he goes to "-Create -Cp curve tool", well, first of all, I can't find it. (there is CV, EP, and Pencil Curve Tool.>.>. mabe that's the 1?)
And then he says "Hold C while...", and here unfortunatelly I am also out of luck, I mean the point doesn't stick to the previous curve..
please help>> user added image
thank you user added image

# 2 05-05-2003 , 01:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm thinking it was a typo and he meant CV.

Hold C. Middle click and drag on the curve.

# 3 05-05-2003 , 01:13 AM
ohh....
you mean middle click when you created a point right??.. (and drag it on the other 1)
well, if so,.. then, is it suppose to stick to the previous point... (but it doesn't)

PS: can it be that he used a previous version of maya?... not 4.5..
oh, here, here is a link.... https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/patch2/

Last edited by LSphinx; 05-05-2003 at 01:16 AM.
# 4 05-05-2003 , 02:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
If you want to curve snap a point to a curve, select the point, Hold C, and Middle click and drag on the curve you want to snap to.

If you are snapping one point to another. Select one, Hold V, and click it and drag to the point you want.

# 5 05-05-2003 , 02:10 AM
ok, I found out that what he ment by Cp is really Pencil Curve...
because it is the only curve that I can make a Surface > Square option with.
now the only problem left is, how do I hold C Key to snap them together... (and that's not attaching... just snaping so they cross each other or what ever.....) user added image

# 6 05-05-2003 , 02:12 AM
oh, thanx mate!.. :-D
we posted at the same time...lol...

# 7 05-05-2003 , 01:07 PM

Originally posted by LSphinx
ok, I found out that what he ment by Cp is really Pencil Curve...
because it is the only curve that I can make a Surface > Square option with.

Actually, this is incorrect. You can create square surfaces with any of the free curve tools. You might want to read up on boundary surfaces and square surfaces in maya's help files (NURBS chapter) to get a better idea on how they work.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 05-05-2003 , 01:12 PM
One thing you should know, is that the method of construction of the curves ..either EP or Cp, though different .. will create the same curve at the end.
So check you´re actually creating those curves ok, snapping them, rebuilding and such .. before trying the Square Surface action on them.