Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-10-2003 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber

mouse selection

I am trying to do the dragon tutorial and I am having a problem with CV point selection. Watching the video, CVs on the lower jaw are selected by box dragging over the points that are to be edited. Also in the video if the selection box starts or finishes over the upper jaw it does not select it. When I try to select the points in the lower jaw I am also doing an object selection of the upper jaw if I touch any part of it. I have looked for a setting to change but am unable to find one. Is there anything I can do to correct this.

# 2 11-10-2003 , 03:42 PM
The Maya Mountain
Make sure you are in component mode.

Please do not double post.

# 3 11-10-2003 , 05:18 PM
SM Tea Boy
closed double posted user added image

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 11-10-2003 , 05:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
Unless he's posted a 3rd one, I already deleted the other. Thread re-opened.

user added image

# 5 13-10-2003 , 05:38 PM
Subscriber
"HE'S" sorry about the double post. 'HE' posted again because 'HE' did not spot the thread on the videos. It was not meant as a way of upsetting everyone.
I do not understand the advice about component mode. It does not seem to matter what mode I am in if when box selecting CVs on one object should any part of that selection box happen to passover any part of the other object that whole of the second object is selected. In the video when CVs are selected the object beneath is not affected. I have been using the control/click to deselect the extra objects but this has got to be a real pain.

thanks for any help
bob

# 6 13-10-2003 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
You could try turning off backface culling, that way you can only select the objects on one side.

# 7 13-10-2003 , 07:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
Right clicking on an object and selecting a component type should put it into component mode.

# 8 14-10-2003 , 05:37 AM
Rbrt, I hope 'HE' understands 'THEY" are not too fond of double posts. user added image

Try using a different view. Just because its not happenig exactly like the video doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. The guy in the video might be using different settings than what you have, that's all.

COMPONENT MODE is used to edit the parts of an object such as CVs, isoparms and vertices.

OBJECT MODE lest you selct an object my itsmain components such as geometry, joints and selection handles.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 9 14-10-2003 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber

thanks

'HE' would like to thank those who are kind enough to have replied. As I have just combined all the pieces the problem seems to be solved for the moment. I will continue looking at this to see if it’s my settings or me.
I apologise for the upset caused and I will NOT double post again - promise,
bob