Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 61 08-01-2010 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
some tails Im planning and hanging over and out the back of the cart

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 08-01-2010 , 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
Nah its cool, lol it made me do a double take when I saw it. Why don't you use a displacement map for the text on the sign?

Edit : spelling issues >.>

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 08-01-2010 at 04:50 AM.
# 63 08-01-2010 , 05:20 AM
Subscriber
thats an idea actually.

i tried to do it in zbrush, created my first ever custom-just-for-me alpha, but some really wierd effect happened when i tried to use it that ive never seen before. it hadnt occured to me to make a displacement map any other way. nice thinkin...

# 64 08-01-2010 , 06:57 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I am not an expert Ben , but comparing women with reptiles never did me any good LOLuser added image

# 65 08-01-2010 , 10:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mastone
I am not an expert Ben , but comparing women with reptiles never did me any good LOLuser added image

schoolboy error. You know sometimes when you are just too honest:blush:

# 66 09-01-2010 , 02:34 PM
Subscriber
tails... these definitely need work...

# 67 09-01-2010 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
duh...

Attached Thumbnails
# 68 09-01-2010 , 06:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
This pic is really starting to get interesting, though that seam is quite distracting. I do like the tails hanging out of the cart. Looks kinda gruesome.

# 69 10-01-2010 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
thanks stwert.

For some reason ive told myself that fixing the seam will be one of the final jobs. Sorry its distracting.

reading your comment earlier meant alot... cheersuser added image

Heres an update, I think this gives a good indication of what direction the picture is heading in, what its kind of final structure will look like

Attached Thumbnails
# 70 10-01-2010 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
Nice picture user added image the only thing I don't really like is the thing coming out of the boat... I don't know what it is...
is that a kind of leg?
you should try to keep the colors or the ambiance around the boat

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 71 10-01-2010 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
yes its a leg , modelled from my own actually (ive got great legs). i wasnt sure if a random walking leg would fit in at first, but then i thought why not, lets go crazy!!

just kidding of course. :-p its a kind of lazy flipped and shrunk duplicate of the kimodo dragon, done as a test and a placeholder which i didnt think looked too bad, although it was subject to change.

im not sure i completely get your point in your last comment. about the ambience?

im glad you like it over all. thankyou.

# 72 11-01-2010 , 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
But Dino's got no claws man!:p

- Genny
# 73 11-01-2010 , 04:46 AM
Subscriber
well the boat is dark, the colors around it are dark
and this thing is like... coming out of no where because of its bright color

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey
# 74 11-01-2010 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
genny, they are on the do list. thinking of using zspheres.

mikey.oh, i get ya. i was kind of wanting to try out a little 'move' i saw in a matte painting tutorial. you might be right about its brightness.

# 75 11-01-2010 , 10:09 PM
Subscriber
didnt have time to write as much as i wanted to earlier, i was runnin late for work.

Mikey: I think it doesnt help that I darkened the outline of the doorway, so the contrast against the light even adds to the brightness. I shall tone that layer down a bit. I dont know if you have followed this thread but the idea is that all these creatures are coming out of the boat/galleon/slave-ship and being led to market, so I wanted to get across the idea that there was some habitated place inside the hull. I guess it might be seen as coming across a little more like a furnace.

I wasnt sure at first if you meant, whats supposed to be the anchor rope, hanging down on the right side of the boat, because the shadow at the bottom of it could be seen as some kind of cartoony foot. I think that its quite a weak part of the picture, and am thinking I should put more shadow from the boat around that patch of water.

Im thinking of taking a break for a few days. Im off to center parcs this friday for the weekend. I havnt half been obsessing over this picture for the last couple of weeks, looking at it while im in bed falling asleep, first thing when i wake up, checking this thread on my phone throughout the day. A little bit of overkill I think...