Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-11-2011 , 03:35 PM

Installation issue

I teach Maya at OSUIT. I have (or rather, had) Maya 2010 on my MacBook Pro. I had no complaints until last week. I was working some exercises off the How to Cheat at Maya 2010 cd, and everything was fine until the next day when I tried to open Maya. I got the message below. I tried to reinstall from the original disk and got the same message. I've run Onyx and Disk Utility but the renistall just won't work. I can work in the student lab or on my home computer, both of which have 2012, but I'd like to have it on my laptop for convenience. Before I ask the department head to purchase an update, I'd like to see if I can resolve this. Here's what comes up when I try to open Maya:

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/startup/layerEditor.mel line 4137: Could not find attribute named "defaultRenderLayer.precompTemplate" //
// mental ray for Maya 2010
// mental ray for Maya: using startup file /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/maya.rayrc
// mental ray for Maya: setup
// mental ray for Maya: initialize
// mental ray for Maya: using 1 license
// mental ray for Maya: register extensions
// mental ray Node Factory: loaded
// mental ray for Maya: successfully registered
// mental ray for Maya: loading startup file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/maya.rayrc
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/AdskShaderSDKWrappers.mi
// generating Maya nodes...
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/architectural.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/architectural.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/base.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/base.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/contour.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/contour.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/paint.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/paint.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/physics.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/physics.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/production.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/production.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/subsurface.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/subsurface.so
// parsing /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/include/surfaceSampler.mi
// loading /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/mentalray/lib/surfaceSampler.so
updateRendererUI;
updateRendererUI;
// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/others/mentalrayUI.mel line 1615: Object not found: mainRenderMenu. //

I can see that there are things the application can't find, but why wouldn't these be replaced with a reinstall (for that matter, why would they be missing in the first place?)

# 2 07-11-2011 , 04:17 PM
Senior Software Developer
I would suggest renaming the maya directory in your home directory to maya.old and then relaunch maya... It seems that that directory may contain corrupt data for your own preferences. Maya will rebuild a clean one and then go from there.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 11-11-2011 , 03:57 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.