Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-02-2006 , 12:02 AM

Maya 6.0 crashing

I'm running maya 6.0. This problem started not to long ago but it seems whenever i start making a low poly model after awhile the farther along i get it start bogging down and freezing up. Eventually it gets to the point i can no longer work on the model becuase of performance issues. When i open the model Maya crashes.

This is very frusterating and i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on why this may be happening.

Thanks in advance.

# 2 15-02-2006 , 01:18 PM
I'm very new to Maya but from one tutorial I have checked out II beleive I seen something in there where he hits Edit>Delete by type>History. He said it can lead to bogging down I think. Which makes since considering it basically saves this stuff maybe so you can edit easily? But try that, hopefully it will work.user added image

# 3 16-02-2006 , 03:49 AM
Thanks, i did a bit of research after posting that and i found a few things that helped. One of them was clearing the history that way and the other was going into the script editor

window > general editors > script editor

once in there go to: edit > clear all

That seemed to help me out quite a bit. hope it helps other poeple who might have been having the same problem.

# 4 12-04-2007 , 12:04 AM
Deleting the history actually crashes maya on me. Heheh. But I'm sure if I cleared it more often, it wouldn't be an issue.

I wonder if there are any patches out that help with the crashing problem. Because Maya 7 crashes on my machine constantly, and I've got a brand new machine designed for gaming with 2gb of ram and such. It shouldn't be crashing as much as it does.

# 5 12-04-2007 , 09:39 PM
Nah, deleting histroy shouldn't have anything to do with Maya not crashing, it has to be something else. Anyways, history is pretty useful so I don't delete it unless i have to. What are your specs?

# 6 13-04-2007 , 03:44 AM
You should delete your history at set points when your modeling and saving at set points too. The history carries a lot of things with it that slows down your PC and depending on the specs and the complexity of the model can cause maya to crash.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle