Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-08-2007 , 02:53 PM

Black blotches and cheeckerboard

I've run into this problem many times. Seems like I've spent half my time in Maya looking for a solution.

I'm working on a static mesh, and well into the project I suddenly get this black blotchy checkerboard pattern on my skin (see attached .jpg - it's supposed to be all smooth blue, and up until a few hours ago it was). I have no idea why it happens, where it comes from, what it means, or how to fix it! (Or turn it off if it's a "feature"). Can someone please help me. I have lost a lot of good work, because my only recourse (so far) when it happens is to go back to an earlier version of the file before the problem occured.

I had this mesh almost finished. I saved the file and shut down Maya. When I came back after lunch and opened the file, my mesh is ruined. As far as I can tell none of the verticies have changed. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it has something to do with normals, and I have looked in vain for something in the normals section of the program. About the only thing I ever do with normals is reverse them when I occasionally find them facing the wrong way (due to my own sloppiness).

Thanks in advance, I really need an answer to this. :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-08-2007 , 03:00 PM
try normals>set to face
and normals>conform
normals>set vertex normal
then try normals>set to face

and if that doesnt work, try normals>soften/harden

it looks like a normals error to me...

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 24-08-2007 , 08:10 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I never did get the mesh to look the way it did before the problem occured. I think I have determined that using the cleanup tool (specifically "Edges with Zero Length" and "Faces with Zero Geometry") is the cause of the problem. "Unlocking Normals" in the normals menu went a long way towards correctiing the problem, maybe 75%. (Why were normals locked in the first place? Nothing I ever did.) But none of the other commands in that menu (alone or in combinations) returned the mesh to the pristine state it was in originally. Once again I had to return to any earlier version of the file, losing large quantities of work.

I simply don't use the "Remove Geometry" section of the cleanup tool anymore, unless I have specifically saved the file before doing so. Probably a good idea anyway. Thank god for revision control. user added image