Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-12-2007 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber

No 5 - Dragon

Ello Folks,
Here is my current project of a dragon... this is going to be my first proper texturing jobby so i may be asking for help when i get to that stage but heres the model so far... More to come!!

user added image

T

# 2 11-12-2007 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
Hi guys,
Heres a little update had a chance to do some more work on it today and ive thinned out the body and head, moved a few stray vertacies and added some detail. Have a look comments are welcome!

user added image

However this is the furthest i've gone on pretty much any project, ive done basic texturing putting on simple textures and some simple lighting but ive not had to try and do anything this complex... what is going to be the best vid/tutorial to take me through texturing?

I think its looking pretty good for my 5th ever creation but obviously i want to make it as good as i can! Oh and i realize it doesn't have any eyes yet lol

ADDED: Thought i should add this that the rear foot has been re done because i showed it to my brother and he pointed out the that anatomy was wrong and that there should have been an extra joint in the foot and things - Something i didnt really think about.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by bigtommyb; 11-12-2007 at 09:16 AM.
# 3 11-12-2007 , 09:21 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looking really good!

Theres nothing really to Crit... it seems just fine. Of course you could use some details here and there, but this is just a WIP... so I can imagine your going to add those details.....

Theres not really to much more to say... nice work! user added image

As for a good texturing tutorial, I'm not sure, though I am sure one of the other members will be able to hook you up!!

Keep it up!! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 13-12-2007 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
Hi thanks for the response, here are the details... still a little bit of fine tuning to go but not much.

user added image

Now time for texturing :S should go fine... i hope.

Tom

# 5 22-12-2007 , 11:26 AM
No crit either- very nice. Can't wait for the textures.

Chris Howell
Respower, a Self-Service Render Farm
# 6 22-12-2007 , 01:05 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
model looks nice overall, but i think you should model your dragon in neutral pose, it's better for when you want to lay out uv's and rigging and animating.
keep it up though.....

# 7 23-12-2007 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments, yea i didnt really think about that because i hadn't done any texturing before... ive got a few days free now so i should be able to get the texturing done soon! however my laptop is slowly dieing... and its virtually brand new :headbang: so hopfully it will hold out (and i do have it backed up user added image)

# 8 24-12-2007 , 01:43 AM
Really nice if its your fifth work in Maya and amazing if it is your fifth work with 3d you're one a 3d school or on your own?. user added image

It got a nice amount of details to it and you seem to understand how to "draw" the lines. Keep it up!

And yes it is alot easier to texture something that is mirrored(half the work)

# 9 24-12-2007 , 02:45 AM
Subscriber
Im at uni doing a digital media arts course... where so far i have done nothing on 3d because we dont till the 2nd year, but i thought i aught to have some sort of visual qualification for when i try and get a job doing it! lol every littles gonna help!

it is a mirrored image. the issue im going to have (i think) is that the wings arnt flat so this is going to make texturing a little harder but not overly difficult...

Ive downloaded the dragon texturing video from this site its pretty good takes you through it step by step and includes everything i need so hopfully i will have some done today user added image

# 10 24-12-2007 , 04:21 AM
Looks good, but some details with zbrush will be better. Can you show us dragon head? keep up!

user added image

Last edited by lealar; 24-12-2007 at 04:39 AM.
# 11 24-12-2007 , 04:25 AM
Looking good dude, what uni are you at?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 24-12-2007 , 08:13 AM
Subscriber
I am at bath... but the course is ran in chippenham the 1st year is a bit rubbish cuz i know it already so it feels kinda pointless but oh well i could do with that slip of paper... and the loan lol.

here is a pic of the whole thing...

user added image

# 13 29-12-2007 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
another update!

Got the main texture done now i need to do bump map and details... remember this is my 1st texturing job so there are a few dodgy edges and things... but i think its going really well.....

user added image

# 14 29-12-2007 , 11:17 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
looking good now, il like it
but i think he needs a tounge or some teeth
he looks a little gummy

# 15 30-12-2007 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
yea i kno some teeth would be a good idea i thought it whilst i was doing the UV map.... but i dont know how to approach it... should i have them come straight up through the lip or should i make some gums or something? any ideas would help (and pics!)