Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-01-2008 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber

Cloverfeild

I just saw it.
I reckon it was great, despite a lot of negative reviews. special effects where awesome but the ending left a lot up to your imagination...
What do you all think?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 2 18-01-2008 , 12:23 AM
Not seen it, but talking to people I must be one of the only people who's not really bothered by it.

I saw the trailer and thought it looked ok, not going to the movies good.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 18-01-2008 , 03:00 AM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 18-01-2008 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
Cool, i thought it was good. The special Effects were great and the explosions where very well done (although i don't exactly know how a monster makes an explosion the size of a nuke???). Id recommend seeing it in the cinema because a small screen would take away some of the experience.

also, did someone really light hobos on fire in the subway?

# 5 18-01-2008 , 10:53 AM
Subscriber
Wow Kari, you actually worked on it?? Would you mind me asking which company you work for, I know Double Negative did some shots as yesterday we had some of there people came in to uni to talk about some of the stuff they had worked on.

Chris

# 6 20-01-2008 , 04:06 AM

Originally posted by bendingiscool
Wow Kari, you actually worked on it?? Would you mind me asking which company you work for, I know Double Negative did some shots as yesterday we had some of there people came in to uni to talk about some of the stuff they had worked on.

Chris

I've been with double negative for little over year now. Love it user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 7 23-01-2008 , 11:57 AM
Saw it today. Simply amazing.

@kbrown: can you tell use specifically what scenes you did. The effects were amazing.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 8 23-01-2008 , 01:55 PM
Can't really place the scenes in the cut as I haven't seen the whole movie yet but most notable ones were the smoke effects when the Woolworth building collapses and the main explosion element for the big boom with the comet like chunks coming out of it. I also did a bunch of smaller debris, rubble and window shattering effects...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 9 23-01-2008 , 02:19 PM
Wow. I feel honored to just talk to you (even if it is online user added image) Those were AWESOME effects. I nearly had a heart attack several times at the realism of it.

How long did this stuff take to make?

Louis

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 10 23-01-2008 , 02:39 PM
How long? That's a tough one as you might be sometimes doing several shots at the same time or be jumping between different shots etc... Generally it takes exactly as long as they let you fiddle with it user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 11 23-01-2008 , 02:50 PM
Heheh. One more question.

Was it harder that the footage was all over the place and wasnt exactly kept still user added image

I am gonna see it again. I loved it so much ahaha. I see on you IMDb page that your doing a new movie. Looks good

Louis

# 12 23-01-2008 , 03:14 PM
Thank god I didn't have to do the matchmoves myself. I think our matchmovers deserves an Oscar at least user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 13 23-01-2008 , 03:17 PM
Ahaha yeah it would of been hard. Very seemless too. I'm sure the guys were very happy when they saw the camera work they had to adapt with lol.

Louis
p.s sent you a pm. dont no if you got it yet.

# 14 23-01-2008 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
That massive explosion was awesome but i don't understand where it came from? Nice detail though, i noticed that the camera reacted properly to the sudden light.

# 15 23-01-2008 , 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Some Guy
That massive explosion was awesome but i don't understand where it came from? Nice detail though, i noticed that the camera reacted properly to the sudden light.

I have no idea either user added image I was just asked to do a huge oil tanker explosion. You get what you order user added image

Tbh I didn't do this completely blind... We had pre-vis fx animations for many shots.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB