Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 11-04-2009 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber

Spaceship Challenge: Earthling Millenium Falcon

Afternoon everyone. I have given this project alot of thought and wanted to join in. I am looking forward to it. I am not very creative in coming up with my own design of a ship. But would like to model the Millenium Falcon from Star wars. I found alot of good reference material for it. It took me some time to just figure how to approach this. I have gotten a start, not much of one for sure, and here is a picture of what I am using as reference right now.. I am probably in way over my head, but I think maybe I can do some kind model in the time. And look forward to texturing it. And if not it will keep my mind busy through May!!

Thanks for the chance to join in!

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 2 11-04-2009 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
And where I am at now. Noticed in the Occlusion that the steel plates need to be lowered some, they are up too high. Back to work!

I have edited the picture as I had forgotten to turn off that geometrycast GI on, kind of made it look yellow.

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).

Last edited by oldhippie_tom; 12-04-2009 at 02:11 AM.
# 3 11-04-2009 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
My mates just started this in 3d Max - here is a bunch of ref he found - plus there is 100`s of google images out there - good luck, - its a good start

Longest url in the world
Ref 1

ref2

ref3

ref4

ref5

# 4 12-04-2009 , 12:17 AM
Good to see you're joining in Tom, I really like all your cars you've done that I've seen so I'm sure you'll do a great job! And a fine choice of ships to do too! Good luck with it, I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

# 5 12-04-2009 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
Tweetytunes, thank you for the links and I will sure use them. But the site I found have 100's of pictures taken of the original 36 inch and 5 foot models used for the movie and I am sure that will be enough, as at some point you have to say that enough and you have to finish it. I have a hard time finishing, as I always see something else I could (or should) do. We are fighting the clock, huh? ;-)

Dango, thank you!!! And I surely enjoyed watching your project last month. I see you have a desire and that you strive to always do your best. It is nice to see your work also

# 6 14-04-2009 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
Good afternoon. I know it has been awhile since I have updated, but trying to figure some things out. But seems we all are doing that. We really have alot of differe3nt styles in this, and I believe that is what makes it so interesting. It is alot of fun!!!

Should be done with the front soon and then start on the back. Trying to get the harder things done first and try and pace my time.

Have a good evening!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 14-04-2009 , 08:51 PM
Excellent! Looking really good so far Tom, I'm liking all the detail around the sides, and as star wars is probably the film I've watched most throughout my life I'm enjoying watching your progress. keep it up! user added image

# 8 14-04-2009 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
i've only seen starwars when i was a little kid, so i don't really remember much... i remember the x-wing in a swamp, those little midget bear things (ewoks? there was a cartoon about them i think), the light sabers, and a ghost of yoda, oh and the death star, and those giant thinks of big long skiny legs, oh, and the mechwarrior thingys

i don't even know what the death star is for, and i didn't know about this whole darth vader being luke's father until i saw all some programs referencing it

and i didn't know luke and leia were siblings until i saw someone mention it on another program...

one day i'll get those movies and watch them though....

anyway, that's some awesome work there... did you actually model all those little bits and bumps on the side there or is that a map? because if you actually modelled it then....user added image you are the man

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 15-04-2009 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
Chirone, when Star wars first came out in the theater I went as I had nothing to do. No one knew of it or what it was about at the time. The theater was almost empty. But within a week you could not get ticket. Sorry to go on. Thank you for you nice comments on my work.

The stuff that runs around the middle of the ship is a displacement map. Yes, feels like cheating. But we only have so much time, and it sure save on polygons and man hours!! Again Chirone, thank you!!

Yes Dango, I started as a Trekie and just went from there. ;-)

# 10 15-04-2009 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
I like this a lot. Nice work. Today I was in a hobby shop and I so one of those about 4 ft. A lot of details. Beautifull. Anyway. Good luck and keep up the good work.

# 11 15-04-2009 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Thank you sokol, I really appreciate it! I suppose I choose it for that reason, and I found heaps of reference. It is fun doing this project and I see you have joined in also. I am sure you will have a neat idea as everyone is showing such different styles. Anxious to see you work!!

# 12 16-04-2009 , 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
anyway, that's some awesome work there... did you actually model all those little bits and bumps on the side there or is that a map? because if you actually modelled it then....user added image you are the man

hmmm - using a displacement map makes him the man. modeling it would just be silly. user added image

nice job so far hippie tom - but have you not thought about maybe funking it up a little? - maybe making your own version of the falcon, a sort of sister ship? just a thought. user added image

# 13 16-04-2009 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
Arran, yes modeling it would have been maybe, a BIG MAYBE, alright if I had all of the time. But was very lucky to have that displacement map. Yes, have thought about scuffing it up and I have been working with dirtmaps lately and am hoping I learned enough.

I wish I could do such a thing, as be creative and coming up with an original idea for a ship. But not one of the things I have a talent for. I see the things you do like the wrestler and the guy pulling the box with the chain and just wonder what it would be like to have those talents. You are very good!!

Just hope that me modeling the original will be alright. As I surely am having alot of fun at it Arran.

# 14 16-04-2009 , 06:27 PM
Fun is the name of the game Tom! If you don't have fun doing it there isn't much point is there!
I wish I knew about displacement maps, I have the general idea of what they do, but creating one and using it are things I will have to look into in the future.
I'm loving what you've done so far, your making one of the all time best ships in film look good!

# 15 16-04-2009 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
Good afternoon, once again! Wanted to post an update on my project. Yesterday I started getting worried that one day it would be a week before the contest was over and I would still only have half a ship. So I have all if the structure of the ship in place now, and that eases my mind a little. But always seems I feel I need to hurry!!

Dango, and I hope not to start messing up, or getting lazy in places I shouldn't. Thanks for liking my project Dango!!

Hope everyone is doing good and having fun with their projects!!

Attached Thumbnails