Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-09-2009 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber

Live Action / Maya

Hey guys, what I'm looking to do is have someone pick up a CGI box made in maya. So the person is live action video and the box is CG. WHat's the best way to go about this?

I have some experience with boujou, I dont know if that would be needed as the shot is a static shot. Maybe I should use an all green real life box then chrome it out in post and replace it with the cgi box? Somehow I want to think boujou could be a help here but from my experience boujou is more about tracking camera movements and not actual objects within the scene, maybe it can do both? I'm thinking out loud, any help would be awesome, you guys are the best thank you!

# 2 30-09-2009 , 04:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
have you done any VFX before?

you could roto anim it perhaps...

# 3 30-09-2009 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
I have, I guess I'm just looking for the most efficient way to go about it. I feel like boujou or even after effects built in tracking could do a lot of the heavy lifting instead of manually rotoscoping it just not exactly sure what the best method would be.

# 4 03-10-2009 , 11:33 PM
Technical Director
I think the only help that boujou would do for a static shot, is to give you an estimated focal length of the shot, which will help you in 3d. If you have the fully version of boujou, syntheyes, or PFTrack, you can also geometry track, which could be helpful as well.

Using a practical box can be an issue as well, as there will be light spill onto the actor. You also need to make sure there is enough texture on that box for it to successfully track, else you're going to be hand tracking it... O_o

I think the fastest way to do it, would be to probably roto it, or use a solid colored box that is the color of the one you're going to create in 3d, as the spill will actually complement it. You can then mask this color out in post. You may have to go in and do some cleanup with it, maybe by using a simple choker, if you're using after effects.

Wish you luck!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.