Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-11-2004 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber

gift wrap present with bow

hi all
i'm trying to model a gift wrapped present with a ribbon tied in a bow - any ideas as to where i would start with making an object look like its wrapped in paper
cheers, tony

# 2 06-11-2004 , 05:59 AM
Cloth? Because that might work, or just a simple box with very small but smooth edges, and use a bump map to make it seem loose in certain areas.

# 3 06-11-2004 , 08:33 AM
if you dont *need* it to animate into being open: take a sheet of paper fold it on various ways but dont allow it to go too flat, scan it (again dont squash it with the scanner´s cap but put another sheet over it) cut n paste the resulting grayscale image and photoshop adjust it into being your bumpmap for a simple cube

make the ribbon with curves and extrudes

uh... just for fun a ctulhian tentacle going out from the bottom of the box is always a nice touch user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 06-11-2004 at 08:37 AM.
# 4 08-11-2004 , 05:42 AM
I am working on a model that has a box wrapped in cloth. I tried using Maya cloth, but to this point have not been able to figure out how to "fold" the cloth like a wrapped up gift. I posted this question a couple weeks ago here But nobody ever replied. I suspect it may be possible, but extremely difficult. So for now I'm going to try texturing and writing a shader to make it look like cloth.