Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 12-06-2005 , 12:11 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

Yeah as DJ said, just 'right click' 'open in new window'

Vlad; Thanks bud, yeah I take it you mean the Beast of Burden creature that you inquired about before. Oh its a fair way off. But if you wanna create the job in 'Z' be my guest. I really dont mind. As long as you credit me for the design when youve done it, then you can give me the model to rig for Outlaws and I'll credit you for the model!! Team work!!

Yeah the tute was a long time coming, but I hope its all okay, I really tried to keep it simple without all the crap, bogging people down with the 'whys', 'dos' and 'donts'. Its just another way to create a model but from my point of view. Enjoy, I will do another soon on boots.

Later
_J

# 32 12-06-2005 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
Ok. Thanks.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 33 12-06-2005 , 06:58 PM
Hey Guys

Heres the concept for this guys head. Was gonna post it earlier but, just wanted to get on with the model blah blah.

user added image

Later
_J

# 34 12-06-2005 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm, I like it alot. Keep it up. Espicially that concept image. WOW user added image

# 35 12-06-2005 , 08:52 PM
And the model

user added image

Later

_J

# 36 12-06-2005 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
Hmm, the nose looks alot different than in the drawing. But still, I like it alot. How exactly do you plan to get that dirty look? Bumps or alpha channels?

Edit: Man, I just thought, that thing must be a reall doozy to UV map.

Last edited by alienscience; 12-06-2005 at 11:18 PM.
# 37 13-06-2005 , 07:41 AM
Nose schmose, its only concept.

Well the texture will be done with a good color, bump, diffuse and spec maps using an sss shader. Why would I want alpha channels on this though is a bit weird to ask. Unless you're talking about layered shaders or textures which is aleays a posibility.

_J

# 38 13-06-2005 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
Love the model, but I think I like the nose in the concept better, it makes him look more sophisticated... But then again, he's a bartender, so I guess he don't have to be user added image

Ehm... What's an sss shader? user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 39 13-06-2005 , 05:21 PM
Blomkaal

Thanks man, oh and SSS=SubSurfaceScattering. I think the nose was too much like the other alien guy I did. Not the last one but the one before that, so I decided to change it after going thru those models, need some differences so...

_J

Last edited by Jay; 13-06-2005 at 05:25 PM.
# 40 13-06-2005 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
Ahh, SubSurfaceScattering, now it's all clear to me! user added image

It just hit me that with the lower nose and the fleshier cheeks, the model kinda reminds me of the bartender from Episode 2 who tells Obi-Wan about the cloners (can't remember his name)

Which model are you talking about? Had a quick look at your 3D gallery and couldn't really see anyone with that look, but it was a pretty quick peek... But yeah, the last thing you want is people thinking that you make all of your models from a base model...

Looking forward to seeing this guy textured! user added image

# 41 13-06-2005 , 06:35 PM
Hey Blomkaal

I believe the dude is called 'Dampa Loong' (green one) hes only in the WiP section awaiting his textures, and hes got a long wait too LOL

_J

# 42 13-06-2005 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
Found him, but I'd say he looks more like Kerin Krani because of the horns on him and the eyes on this guy, but that's just me...

Yeah, how's that new workflow treatin' ya? Is it too soon to tell if it's more effective?

# 43 13-06-2005 , 07:59 PM
Hey Blomkaal

Id say its better. Although it may seem Ive got the figure modelling down pretty good, and to some my stuff may be cool, I can still be pretty unsatisified with it. The work flow is better but Im just bloody arsey on my stuff.

I see some damn good work on alot of sites and I know I can do better (dont want to sound arrogant) but Im working in bulk as opposed to one image/model or a single animation, so it feels like I do less than the next guy and somedays it feels like Im not doing anything at all, but again Im working in bulk and have to be consistant even though there are improvements to be made.

Once Outlaws is finished I'll be doing a short animation that Ive been planning to do for a couple of years, I want to get back into that, I still have the storyboards!! And then I'll be moving onto the Photoreal humans by doing some portrait stuff, you know really hi res models for one image. But thats all way off yet, Probably wont be until the end of next year.

Later
_J

# 44 13-06-2005 , 09:11 PM
Shazaaam!!!

Another update dudes!!

user added image

Later

_J

# 45 14-06-2005 , 06:44 PM
Hey Guys