Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-11-2002 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber

Yet another question

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a starry background? Should I try and texture a plane with a picture or is it possible to create a shader to do the same thing? By the way the site is looking great! Keep up the great work!

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 2 07-11-2002 , 01:30 AM
Actually with shaders almost everything is possible, so I´m sure there as a way of actually creating a starry background. However I would advise you to check PaintFX actually since you can make a great field out of it with depth included, so be sure to give it a whirl.

# 3 07-11-2002 , 01:33 AM
Adl, I was going to say that exact same thing you beat me too it heheh. GateKeeper how big do you want the star field to be?

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 07-11-2002 , 01:43 AM
The Maya Mountain
one, sorta complicated method (so, just ignore me if you're looking for quick and easy. lol) is to use particles.... I've seen some cool scenes using particle-based stars in they sky... but I'd imagine just using images or paintFX would be the most practical thing to do.

# 5 07-11-2002 , 01:53 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
one, sorta complicated method (so, just ignore me if you're looking for quick and easy. lol) is to use particles.... I've seen some cool scenes using particle-based stars in they sky... but I'd imagine just using images or paintFX would be the most practical thing to do.

Hmm, knowing how customizable particle systems are, that would be a pretty impacting starfield. It does need a degree of knowledge in particles though, but hell! would look good if handled correctly.

Kurt: Muahahaha NEVER! user added image

# 6 07-11-2002 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
The 'Learning Maya' book from Alias has a tutorial on this in the Spaceships project.

# 7 07-11-2002 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
What I was looking for was to use it as a horizon. Sort of something you would see if you were on the surface of the moon. I have a very basic landscape that I'm going to texture with a lunar shader. I'm also planning on trying a starship design and would also like to put that on a starry background. So in the first case I would imagine that the star field would need to be hemisphereical. I hope that makes sense. user added image

I've never used particle effects and have just started reading up on shaders. But from what I've read and seen this looks to be one of the coolest parts of rendering.

Seanoz thanks for the info about the book. I'll look into it.

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 8 07-11-2002 , 07:04 PM
--- > mtmckinley
I would like to see how you would go about making particle stars, as I've been fiddling with this. But not being able to produce a satisfactory result, I turned to paintFX.

/ ctrl-z