Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-12-2007 , 07:26 AM

Squiggly Lines

OK, I'm already having trouble. When I try to paint, I see the image I am drawing while I'm drawing it, but once I release the mouse it turns into a bunch of squiggly lines. I can't see what I'm drawing unless I render it.

# 2 05-12-2007 , 02:37 PM
guess you are doing some 3d painting (tell me if it's not),one of the first things i tried to do in maya user added image i think you could see what you're painting by changing the view to texture view (maybe shaded - 5 key - will work too) or by actually rendering the whole scene. Unfortunately i'm a newbie and cannot be of further help, but i hope that this is the problem.. And mine is the solution(jk user added image) Bye

# 3 07-12-2007 , 10:55 AM

Originally posted by bluesboy84
guess you are doing some 3d painting (tell me if it's not),one of the first things i tried to do in maya user added image i think you could see what you're painting by changing the view to texture view (maybe shaded - 5 key - will work too) or by actually rendering the whole scene. Unfortunately i'm a newbie and cannot be of further help, but i hope that this is the problem.. And mine is the solution(jk user added image) Bye

Afraid that didn't work, unless I am simply not looking in the right places. I cannot find Texture in the view menu. I'm running Maya 7, if that is any help.

# 4 07-12-2007 , 11:02 AM
Jr.Who
Texture view is key 6.

# 5 07-12-2007 , 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Texture view is key 6.

Yes, 6 changes the color of the line, but it remains a line. Here is what I see using 3D Paint.
user added image

# 6 07-12-2007 , 12:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Maybe you need to alter your brush size, it seems very small in the pic you posted.
You adjust the brush by holding down the B key and LMB dragging horizontally to get the desired size.Incidentally what brush are you using ? By that I mean what result are you acutally trying to achieve ?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 07-12-2007 , 12:48 PM
Don't some 3D brushes, especially the ones that paint objects (like the teapot one) require you to render the scene to reveal their final result? It would be helpful if you told us what brush you are using.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 07-12-2007 , 01:01 PM
Gold Brush. A friend with Maya 7 also, shows teapots without rendering. Unfortunately, either of us can figure out my problem. Here's a zoom shot before, while holding the image, and after releasing the mouse.

user added image

user added image

# 9 07-12-2007 , 01:09 PM
For some reason those screenshots come up as tiny little thumbnail sized images...

Anyways, since I don't work with 3D paint, here is my possibly inaccurate answer: 3D paint I think, is 3D. The lines you mention are a sort of 'guide' or 'path' that represents the brush strokes. When you render the image, I think Maya somehow uses that 'guide' to shape a 3D object which is the paint, which is why it looks so realistic. This is what I think happens. Hope this helps.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 10 07-12-2007 , 01:30 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok I think what you need to do is double click on the paint effects brush icon located at the left tool bar (current tool). then in the tool settings check on Draw as Mesh and that should solve your problem.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 07-12-2007 , 10:02 PM
That gave me a clue to go to Display and select Paint Effect Mesh Display... I can see it now. Thank you.

user added image