Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-01-2009 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber

rotate align?

Hi,

I'm currently modeling a house for work and one of the elevations I'm using as a reference is not aligned with the face of the house I'm working on... Would there be a way to rotate it so that is it perfectly aligned with the side of the house? I tried fiddling with the Snap Together tool with mitigated results and also just rotating it with the gool ol' Rotate tool, but it's not precise enough... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-01-2009 , 08:36 PM
point snap a loc to one end of your house then make another and use it to aim constrain the first locator to the other end of your house. The first locator will now how the rotation values you need. I hope that makes sense.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 23-01-2009 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber
A bit of a complex procedure for such a simple task but I got to learn about new functions... Many thanks!

# 4 23-01-2009 , 09:35 PM
I like LauriePriest's suggestion, but out of curiousity, why didn't the snap together tool work?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 23-01-2009 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
Well the elevation is a bunch of nurbs curves that I imported from vectorworks. When I activate the Snap Together tool, it deselects the group of curves and only picks up the one curve I happen to click on. Also, but this may be due to mishandling on my part, it only gives me really weird trajectories as options; they do indeed snap together but the elevation rotates in all sorts of ways... But I've never really used the tool before and the help file is not of much use...