Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-07-2009 , 01:09 PM

Texturing

Ok so I get how to texture using bump mapping with photoshop. Thats easy enough. But in order to get wrinkles and more detailed bumping. Is it official that you HAVE to use zbrush or a like program? Is that the way to go? I did a search in the forums but found no definitive answer. Thanks a bunch guys!

# 2 20-07-2009 , 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
You can do it in Photoshop, you'll have to go back and forth a bit more between the apps because you'll be doing a bit of estimating of where to place strokes as you're painting. Even though people survived fine before Zbrush it does make that easier as you're able to paint on/sculpt the model and get realtime updates.

- Genny
# 3 20-07-2009 , 02:29 PM
Well I am noticing that when i adjust the bump map in PS the groves and lines i make in photoshop only go so deep in the maya render. I cant seem to make like...wrinkles and waves. Is this something zbrush would make happen easier and more efficiently?

# 4 20-07-2009 , 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
I think you may be expecting a bit too much from a bump map, it creates an illusion of bumps/scratches/wrinkles whatever, it doesn't change the model in any way, it doesn't cast shadows, can't see it in a silhouette, so it can only appear so deep before it starts looking ridiculous. Displacement maps (grayscale images just like bump maps) do all of the above but of course they are heavier to render. Among other things, Zbrush lets you export this kind of map after you finished sculpting away.

- Genny
# 5 20-07-2009 , 02:58 PM
ok great thanks so much for the help I really apreciate it. And im sure alot of other people that arent members wonder the same thing so heopefull this helps someone else.

# 6 21-07-2009 , 10:33 AM
# 7 21-07-2009 , 11:50 AM
thanks for the link, i will definetly try that out. I also got a 30 days trial of zbrush and i love it. Just have to learn the basics but i successfully used it for a MAya model and i like what it can do.