Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-05-2003 , 02:52 AM

Bad computer...........BAD!!!!!

Ok, let me get straight to the point. I am running windows 2000 pro with a 1.2 gig amd thunderbird processor, 700 and whatever-the-hell cheap pc133 memory and a GeForce 2 asus v7700 ti sgram v14.62a peice of crap mother ^&*^ing peice of G()DD%@* *#&( video card that keeps ^&#*ing up whenever I am running maya. At first it automatically reset itself, but I turned that off in my config, and now I get a blue screen telling me a bunch of memory addresses(irrelevent) and that anvioctl.sys, which is the driver for my video card, is (^*&ed up. I am about to dl new drivers to see if that works but I doubt it will. Any Suggestions before I put it out of its misery.user added image user added image user added image user added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 2 24-05-2003 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
Has it only recently started doing this ? Also what do you mean by you "turned it off in the config" ?

Have you changed any hardware recently ?
Also, have you changed any BIOS settings ?

Do you only get these problems when you run Maya or does it affect games and other apps ?

I'm thinking that you might need to reinstall Win2k if it worked ok before and doesn't now....

# 3 26-05-2003 , 05:31 AM
It is only maya. I know what the problem is now, and the only way to fix it is to get a new graphics card. Its not aw's fault, as they cant make maya compatible with everything, and yes, it only happens in maya. it is trying to use the same memory address in the video card's memory, because the range is much smaller than on a new one. I think im gonna get a geforce fx

# 4 26-05-2003 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by drknow
think im gonna get a geforce fx

If you can, get the GeForce FX 5900

The price is a bit steep as they just came out but it blows the Radeon 9800 away! :banana:

-Emo

# 5 26-05-2003 , 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Emo
The price is a bit steep as they just came out but it blows the Radeon 9800 away!

That´s not what you hear in hardware forums.

# 6 05-06-2003 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
Why don't invest a bit more and get your hands on a Quadro 4 750 XGL?

Now, after the FX series has been released, they come in at a lower price than before, and it's almost as good as the 900 XGL.

And, best of all, you have full OpenGL support.

The question is: are you out for some serious work, or do you fancy playing all the new games?

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 7 05-06-2003 , 06:31 PM
What if I wanna do both?

...WAY less gaming than Maya, but Q3A every now and again?

possible? card suggestions?

Should I go scr3w myself? hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 8 05-06-2003 , 06:52 PM
I'd suggest a GeForce Ti4200....then just soft quadro it up to the 750XGL.....pretty easy to do (I have a walkthrough PDF on how to do it if you decide to go this route). The card itself is relatively cheap. I have the MSI TI4200 soft-quadro'ed up and run maya without a hitch. In all honesty I don't notice a difference in speed on the odd occasion I fire up Q3.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 05-06-2003 at 06:55 PM.
# 9 05-06-2003 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
First off: I'm running my system with a SoftQuadroed Geforce 4 Ti4600, and it's coming along nicely, but some things like hardware accelerated lines (incl. AA) are not supported by GFs, even if the drivers are hacked with SoftQuadro.

As to the gaming capabilites: the Quadro offers full DirectX support, and there are a lot of benchmarks around that show that the Quadro beats the Ti4600 even if it comes to high-level gaming.

Another issue with the SoftQuadro hack lies in the fact that you can't use any drivers above v41.03... I'm still using 30.82 (Maya 4.5 certified drivers), for that matter.

If I'd put togehter a new system now, I'd go for a Quadro or the new FireGL (that said, I don't do any gaming).

Anyway, it's up to you...

user added image

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 10 06-06-2003 , 02:47 AM
hmm...Great suggestions guys. Thanks.