Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-01-2004 , 04:16 PM

Head modelling, joining patches.

I'm planning on modelling a head using Nurbs patches based on this article:

https://coldfusion.art.msstate.edu/ca...ead/NURBS.html

What I can't understand is the author's patch diagram of HIS Setup.

He has patches that only partially share edges yet the isoparms all line up, and how does he join these patches when they don't have the same uv span.
For example: the lower jaw patch (5 isos) and the patch below the eye(4 isos).

Also, I can't figure out how he gets the lower jaw patch isoparms to all meet at the mouth instead of spanning the surface.

It looks like a good technique for head modelling.

# 2 08-01-2004 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
Not that this is going to answer your question, but why oh why would you put yourself through that kind of nightmare? I used to be a die hard nurbs modeler and completed a few patch faces myself.... Let me tell you it's not worth it, why not get a good poly head tut. Even the large animation houses have/are converting to polys or subs.

# 3 08-01-2004 , 06:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
As far as I can see in the page you linked to, all the isoparms DO match in the provided diagrams.

Edit> Oh, I misunderstood. I see what you're saying now.

# 4 08-01-2004 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
when u stitch u can specify where you want the iso to connect.
for example his eye patch has a total of six spans in the V direction, so when he stitch it to the big mouth surface he tells the stich node where to start and where to end the stitch.
Like ice Queen says, Nurbs are indded fustrating, but they yield more realistic results and deformations than poly or subD, most studios when they use close shot, they use NURBS replica of actors... except for GOLLUM:bow: his modeling had some great artists working on it. maybe they converted to sub-D... i don't really know.
but to answer your Q's, i was a bit confused too when i saw the authors's wires, until i tried it, i even modified it a bit and ended up with even less patches and more continuous flow, so i had no stiching (or very little)where the surface would deform when talking etc...
https://www.geocities.com/vladimirjp/patchHead.html

Last edited by vladimirjp; 08-01-2004 at 07:00 PM.
# 5 08-01-2004 , 07:34 PM
I'm going to try out the poly and sub-d methods too, but I want to get this NURBS method working first. (I am a newcomer to Maya, done a good bit of 3D programming though).

Originally posted by vladimirjp
when u stitch u can specify where you want the iso to connect.
for example his eye patch has a total of six spans in the V direction, so when he stitch it to the big mouth surface he tells the stich node where to start and where to end the stitch.
https://www.geocities.com/vladimirjp/patchHead.html

How do you match the mouth surface and the three surfaces that connect to it? When I use align surfaces to join at the shared edge, it causes problems as the mouth surfaces uses the whole edge whereas the other surfaces only uses parts of the edge?

And how did you get the isoparms in the mouth surface to all converge at the mouth?

BTW, Did you just create that head since reading my original post? It looks great!

# 6 08-01-2004 , 09:01 PM
The Maya Mountain
Clod, if just starting, I'd recomend going to polygon route, first. Nurbs are a bit steep to try to jump right into.

# 7 09-01-2004 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
hey, here are tools that help u the most (me at least) when modeling humans with NURBS.
1) rebuilt surface ; rebuilt first 0 -1 and check "keepCV" so u do not lose shape, then rebuilt 0-numSpans; check off keep CV
2)attach surfaces;
3)detatch surfaces (at same ISO where they were attached
4)in the stitch setting always stich to the surface u do not want to move, by that i mean, set the options to tangent edge 1 to 1 edge 2 to 0, this way everything is stitched to the first edged
5)DO not use the align surface tool...
6)before u start patching it is best to create a good network of patches that gives maximum details and least geometry...

i wish i was better @ explaining things.. sory if this is a bit confusing.
but feel free to pm or email me any Qs or IRC #cgtalk; my screen name is vladimir

# 8 09-01-2004 , 01:13 PM
I am after modelling a polygon head (Tom Cruise, not that you'd guess from looking at it), alot more practice is needed.

I'm looking at a few different methods:

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/peter/model2.3d

In figure 7-31, how do you create a cross section curve in Maya.
In figure 7-33, the author says "Once the spline cage is patched, the form becomes a solid polygon model". How do patch this cage?

# 9 09-01-2004 , 02:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
I wouldn't necessarily call that the easiest way to go about polygonal modeling.. strange.

# 10 09-01-2004 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber

# 11 09-01-2004 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
hey clod take a look at this patch head model i have attached

Attached Files
File Type: mb model01.mb (288.5 KB, 242 views)
# 12 09-01-2004 , 07:03 PM
I think I'm going to leave head modelling and come back to it after I've got a bit more experience.