Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-11-2007 , 02:05 PM

Christmas Ornaments

Modeled some ornaments since x-mas is coming and all. C & C welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 26-11-2007 , 02:46 PM
Subscriber
Nice!

You did the reflection using an image, so the ornaments could reflect the image right? or what

# 3 26-11-2007 , 03:25 PM
HDRI you use .. right ?

# 4 26-11-2007 , 04:22 PM
And that reflection map clearly isn't mapped correctly since you can see a border in the middle.

# 5 26-11-2007 , 04:55 PM
Jr.Who
AnthonyCg, make it so that you can't see the HDRI and turn off reflectivity on the ground. user added image

# 6 26-11-2007 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
Looks nice.
Which reminds me, I got to get my decorations up....

# 7 27-11-2007 , 07:24 AM
Thanks for the crits ppl.
I did use hdri for this one.
@DJBlazer- Yeah, I was hoping that I could get away with that one and thought it wouldn't be that big a problem since it looked like the ceiling of the building was circular anyway, but its an easy fix.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 8 28-11-2007 , 08:23 AM
Here ya go Jr.Who.

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 28-11-2007 , 09:20 AM
Jr.Who
What renderer are you using for this?

# 10 28-11-2007 , 12:34 PM
I would guess mental Ray.

Think I would lower the reflectivity and add a fresnell effect to it, and poss a very, very slight bump.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 29-11-2007 , 03:32 AM
@Jr.Who- I rendered this with mental ray. I'd expect a better job from Maxwell though which I may try if I have the time.

@Gster- Can you map fresnells to DGS materials?

# 12 29-11-2007 , 07:23 AM

Originally posted by AnthonyCg
@Jr.Who- I rendered this with mental ray. I'd expect a better job from Maxwell though which I may try if I have the time.

@Gster- Can you map fresnells to DGS materials?

I wouldent bother with maxwell for 2 spheres with a reflection and a plane, bit over kill, learn one render before jumping for the "make cool" button

I would also just use a blinn, dunno but I feel I get a lot more control.

# 13 29-11-2007 , 07:35 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by AnthonyCg

Did you turn on FG and GI?

# 14 29-11-2007 , 08:25 AM
I would suggest just to use final gather to start with, just to get some nice lighting from the image starting low then moving up till you get a nice look, you can make a really great render without going for global illumination, caustics, mental ray materials etc etc, hell jsut use the HDR as a reflection map and switch off FG!Make this a bit af a rendering lesson, so you understand what each thing in the render settings does.

Also it will get your understanding of shaders up too, with the fresnell ramps etc.