Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-05-2004 , 03:05 AM

Tech Question....

Ok... First of my system is pretty decent im running a

P4 2 gig processor
1 gig DDR
Win XP Pro
G force 4 TI 128 meg

Maya seems to run great and rendering is not bad either.. the only problem is dynamics... its slows down quite a bit. I'll be doing a few projects with dynamics soon.

My question is.... what would help speed this up?

New processor, video card or more ram?

I wish I was more of a tech head...=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 17-05-2004 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
when you say "slows down quite a bit" what do you mean? when you move around through space or when youre playing dynamics and they are moving slow...

my guess is get a better Video Card... something with 256MB should be fine...

the P4 is fine... and a gig of Ram is ok too so the only thing left is to check out your video card

-Emo

# 3 17-05-2004 , 04:52 AM
Thanks EMO.... the scene slows down almost every way.... scrolling and the dynamics themselves...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 4 17-05-2004 , 12:37 PM
Well, It's a bit of everything. I'd propably not upgrade the video card first. You can temporarily hide things in viewports to make them more interactive. If you upgrade the vid card (you still have twice better than mine user added image) it won't affect the simulation times <- it's all about hard core calculations (cpu/ram).

Also if you haven't already, you should try disc caching too. In most cases reading pre-calculated data from HD is faster than calculating it all over again. However if your scene has lots and lots of dynamics cached in the disc then the HD speed can also become the bottleneck...

Go figure user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 24-05-2004 , 03:10 AM

I don't think so

Not with those specs. The 2GHZ processor and 1 gig of ram should be fine. I'd go with video card. Look around. I'd reccomend the ATI Radeon 9800 pro. That's what i have and i runs everything great. Bestbuy was running a sale for $200. May sound like alot, but its worth it. Don't know if they still are though.

# 6 24-05-2004 , 02:46 PM
I've had horrible experiences with radeons....please don't get one...get a geforce fx 5900 xt and sofquadro it to a quadro fx 3000...it will outperform a radeon 9800 pro in every single test.,...even a softfiregl one...trust me ..I had to trade my All-in Wonder radeon 9800 pro for a geforce....I lost money...but my life could not be happier with its stability and speed....radeons don't support viewport hardware render either...it's very crappy if you're looking into professional quality work...maybe for the casual 3d enthusiast....but not for professionals....

# 7 24-05-2004 , 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone..... I looking into the quadros...

# 8 24-05-2004 , 10:09 PM

hmm

I'm sure softmodding it will void its warrenty. Better pray that it never has any problems or u will lose a lot of money.

# 9 25-05-2004 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
How will Softmodding void the warranty?

-Emo

# 10 25-05-2004 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
is it just me or is there a point being missed. GrafXcard will not do a thing for dynamic's.

# 11 25-05-2004 , 11:42 PM

hey

When u do anyting out of the ordinary it almost always voids the warrenty. For example overclocking or flashing the bios(which has the same effect as overclocking). As soon as u do that ur warrenty is gone, because the card is being used different than its intent. Check the book the card came with it. I can't be sure though because i've never read there policy.

I disagree though, i think the graphics card would help. Put a card from 5-6 years in and it will not run as well as with a card from now.

# 12 26-05-2004 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
well maybe someone can tell me how they got the grafics card to do dynamic's couculations. I don't think they did.

when nothing else is going on and you do a pan or zoom, if that is slow thin I would agree a new card. Thats the only part of anything in couculations its responcible for.

# 13 26-05-2004 , 06:34 AM
Pony, it still takes a good vid card to process all that information on the screen.

However, since the main processing is done by the CPU and RAM, chances are that it may be due to the system. I've never been able to work with dynamics decently on anything less than a dual CPU system. While your system is nice and fast, it still requires a bit more power to cycle all those calculations for the dynamics. Especially if you're doing water with ray tracing turned on.

Don't sweat it. Unless you're going to upgrade to a dual CPU system, there's not much you'll be able to do to speed it up.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 14 26-05-2004 , 10:58 AM
I don't know about Maya 6 but with earlier versions you will not gain anything (or very little) from a multi processor system when it comes to dynamics calculation or working in the UI. This is because of a simple reason -> the application is not multithreaded. You'll see the speed advantage only when rendering.

And I still stand behind what I said earlier too...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 15 27-05-2004 , 01:13 AM

hey

I agree with K-Brown. Multi-processor is overkill. U don't need that to run maya. Look at his computer stats. 2 GHZ is plenty, and the gig of ram is more than enough. The only thing lacking is the video card. Even though the processor is the brain of the computer it still needs something that can keep up with it display wise. The processor may be making calculations super fast, but the video card can't display the results in time, which would make the screen appear choppy. That's my say.