Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-05-2008 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber

Trouble converting into Sub D from Polygons

Hello, have really enjoyed making this first real model I have done, and I have been stopped dead in my tracks cause I cant get it to convert from poly to sub d's. HAs anyone go any ideas why?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-05-2008 , 01:50 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
what error message is is throwing out in the script editor

cheers
Jay

# 3 16-05-2008 , 02:17 AM
Senior Software Developer
It would seem to me that you only have 1/2 a model from the freebie tutorial Kurt provided.

As far as I can remember, you need to duplicate, combine and then merge the verts. Once thats done delete the history and then attempt the conversion.

If its not that and I am talking ****, then reset the settings in the poly to subd options and ensure there are no non manifold faces on the model by running the clean up tool.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 16-05-2008 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
This is what the script editor had on it.

deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface4|polySurfaceShape6;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 3893 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface4|polySurfaceShape6;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more edges is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold edges, use Mesh->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

# 5 16-05-2008 , 02:29 AM
Yeah as r@nsid has said, run a cleanup on it. If Im corrects it in the Poly menu set under Mesh>Cleanup, then set it to Nonmanifold.

It will then hilite the areas you'll need to fix...

Any mesh will convert to a subd no mater its state as long as the geometry is clean and the max face count is the same or above that in the modify>poly to subd menu

cheers
Jay

# 6 18-05-2008 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
Hello again I have tried a cleanup, with nonmanifold selected, it highlights all the faces on the model. I then run a poly to sub d convert with the same amounts of faces as the poly model has and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I am itching to move on its frustrating.

Karl

# 7 18-05-2008 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
Actually done it. Thanks anyway!!

# 8 18-05-2008 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber

Sculpt Geometry Tool

This doesn't seem to do what the sculpt polygon tool does on the tutorial. Is it the same but different Maya. Does anyone know some good settings. At the moment it twist everything on the model.

Cheers

# 9 18-05-2008 , 07:35 PM
Just play with the settings, it all depends greatly on the model too. Turn the opacity/pressure down, that will help for starters

_J

# 10 18-05-2008 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber
This is far as i think i m going to go with this tutorial. The face was causing me trouble at the end. Have learnt alot though, am happy with the shape of the body. Gonna do the dog tutorial now.

Thanks for your help

Attached Thumbnails