Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-10-2010 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber

Maxwell Jewelry Renderer

This is a render of a piece of jewelry that i made for Shapeway.com last week. I rendered it using Maxwell Render. Here is a link also for Shapeway. This is an awesome website. You can 3D laser print any 3D model you make. You should check that out.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/makestuff

Attached Thumbnails

CDV
# 2 23-10-2010 , 10:07 PM
The thin red line
Sorry if I am putting a downer on you but the render looks very flat, there are no reflection and no sence of depth. Have a look on this site for a free tutorial on final gather and look into reflection..........dave

# 3 25-10-2010 , 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Maxwell doesn't use Final Gather Dave :blush: but you're right. Slatamilian, it seems as if you're using the Maxwell sky setup which makes the pendant look strange given that it's sitting on a dark burgundy backdrop that doesn't seem to have any influence on it whatsoever.

Usually jewelry is photographed inside a lighting box, which is pretty much a translucent box/tent with a white interior (for generic environment and reflections). It that scatters incoming light to create a soft diffused lighting effect.

I googled and found a pretty nice clear image of the setup.
Ref site is telovation.com

Had to do a repost :x

Attached Images

- Genny
# 4 25-10-2010 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber

Thank you

I like the set up pictured. I'm going to try and set up a virtual simulation of that and see if i get a better render. Thanks for the input!

CDV
# 5 25-10-2010 , 10:20 PM
The thin red line
Genny your bad, you know I did not mean that. But I like bad girls? . .........dave