Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 15-07-2013 , 08:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Gen there is that one and another they use with a .nz at the end...no thanks. You can safely add .zip files onsite mate...no need for 3rd party stuff.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 15-07-2013 , 02:50 PM
I renamed the prefs map to OLDprefs and got a new pref map, so maya looks like new again haha user added image this made the trick for me, at first. Maya does now enable me to connect to the cutout opacity, but as soon as i start to render maya crashes. however creating the cutout opacity in the attribute editor as BldRnr told me to made the trick. my leafs are now also renderable and everything is working perfectly.

BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP user added image user added image user added image user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 18 12-11-2013 , 12:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi, this is exactly the problem I am having! The tutorial I'm following along with is the 'Realistic Outdoor Environments' that David just made (part18 23:40). When I get to creating bushes and follow the same steps that Skalman did, Maya crashes when I try to plug the outvalue to the cutout_opacity.

I've attached my scene file if you want to have a look at it. It is done up to the stage just before where I have to plug the luminance into the shader.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Ty2ndBush.zip (16.0 KB, 180 views)

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 19 12-11-2013 , 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
I plugged in my own tif texture and even a procedural checker, no crash :T

- Genny
# 20 12-11-2013 , 06:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Argh! This is driving me crazy! I tried changing my prefs but this didn't help either. Do you think it could have something to do with the version (2012) or the fact that I'm using a student edition?

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 21 12-11-2013 , 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter what you try to plug in, it crashes? Even if you saved your texture to a different format? Models have UVs?(weird put a shot in the dark lol)

- Genny
# 22 12-11-2013 , 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Also check your crash log.

- Genny
# 23 12-11-2013 , 10:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Tried a checker map and even that caused maya to kick the bucket. Yes, the models definitely have uvs. They're paint effect strokes that have been converted to polygons.

Where abouts can I find the crash log? I tried the path you gave Skalman in an earlier post ("C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp") but my machine doesn't have an AppData folder, not even when I search the entire machine.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 24 12-11-2013 , 08:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Okay, some more little bits of information.

I've tried a few different tif textures, all make it crash when I connect the output value of the Luminance to the cutout_opacity of the Mia_Material_X.

Saving it to a different format eg. png doesn't help (for one thing it doesn't have an alpha channel) it still crashes anyway as soon as I connect it as above.

I've tried to save my file as a Maya Ascii and a Maya Binary but that didn't help either.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 25 12-11-2013 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
Ok to save everyone some time it is a bug. I did some QA work on it and the bug is fixed in 2014. Not sure about 2013 due to the fact I don't have access to that version.

But you don't have to go throught the whole process. In 2012 Maya doesn't like the output value of the luminace node being place into the cutout opacity of the mia shader.

You may have to settle for using just a tif in the cutout opacity.
It will render without crashing. I believe it does work in 2009.

Autodesk implemented QT in Maya 2011 so this may have been missed since it is a bit obscure for the QA to find this

# 26 12-11-2013 , 10:21 PM
Lifetime Member

You may have to settle for using just a tif in the cutout opacity.
It will render without crashing. I believe it does work in 2009.

Hi BldRnr, Okay that would explain why I'm having so much trouble. I'll have a shot at pointing my tif to the cutout opacity and see if I can get that working. As a side question why would this not be the way to still do it now rather than go through a reverse shader and then a luminance shader?

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 27 12-11-2013 , 11:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Okay this is my attempts at using the file to drive the cutout opacity. I basically just dragged my file (file1) onto the cutout_opacity setting and now I'm getting semi transparent leaves with faint black borders. What should I be doing to fix this?user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 28 14-11-2013 , 04:52 AM
Lifetime Member
For anyone who has the same sort of issues with the luminance node causing havoc in maya 2012 I have found a solution to the bug.

Autodesk released a hotfix package and that is one of the issues that it sorts out. (link below)

https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9242259

Hope this comes in handy.

Cheers, the Yeti.