Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-09-2007 , 03:05 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

maya hangs a lot

I recenty seem to be getting situations where maya will freeze.
It began with warnings about virtual memory wasn't sufficient so according to windows some applications would'nt work as expected(if you look at the specs i highly doubt that windows should ever need the virtual memory to that extend).
And soon after i got these "application errors ' which caused shutdowns on maya.
I updated the drivers of the videocard and disabled the catalyst ai option, but still no luck.
I didn't have an application error since i've updated but now maya hangs on seemingly simple tasks like rendering really basic testrenders with only color no bumps and-or displacements or laying out uv's(which resluted in many do-overs)
When i open the hypershade it takes farely long before it pops up and sometimes the materials get messed up
I have a dual monitor set up 2 times a syncmaster 940 bf 19" main monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024 and the other at 1024 x 768(maybe this is the problem?)
I have defragmented the harddrives
and these are the hardware specs;
Cooler Master Mystique 632, Zilver
Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe), E6700, Socket 775, Boxed
Western Digital Raptor, 150 GB, 10000 rpm, 16 MB, Serial ATA150
Asus P5W DH Deluxe, RetailSeagate Barracuda 7200.10, 250 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB, Serial ATA300
NEC AD-7173, ATAPI/E-IDE, Zilver, OEM
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI, 700 Watt, Retail
Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/2G, 2048 MB, DDR2, PC6400, 800 MHz, 2 x
Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX, 512 MB, GDDR4, PCI Express x16
It isn't the best of the best but i honestly think that it shouldn't have a problem with basic maya operations.
I hope someone has a solution for this because i'm getting pretty annoyed.
thanks in advance

# 2 18-09-2007 , 05:41 AM
Hmm, not sure what's causing this... Have you checked for spyware and viruses? Maybe is your swap file or drive corrupted? That could make Windows think its out of memory, its happened to me a few times.

mastone > 'It isn't the best of the best but i honestly think that it shouldn't have a problem with basic maya operations.'

lol! You've got a elite box!

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 18-09-2007 , 07:15 AM
Which Maya version? Have you installed the latest service pack(s)?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 18-09-2007 , 07:33 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I 've deleted all the temporary files, reinstalled maya (2008) and until now it still works without any problems.
So i hope i've fixed it , if not then i hope you guys are coming to my aid again:p .
@The Architect;
"lol! You've got a elite box!" i did pay an elite price for it, but i think with all the opterons, xeon ,fire gl and quattro's out there i'm still a small timer:p THIS is an elite "boxx"(hope the link works)