Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-04-2011 , 04:08 PM

guitar question

just a simple question. and i'm sure theres a simple answer too.. i am modeling an acoustic guitar and want to know wat the easiest way to animate the strings actually playing would be.. and wat i should make them out of? there wont be a person playing it it will just be the guitar and it will be playing on its own then be put to a soundtrack.. soo i need to know how to make it look the strings are being played.. thank you user added image

# 2 04-04-2011 , 04:41 PM
EduSciVis-er
Easiest way would be to create a long narrow cylinder with a single row of vertices at the point where they would get strummed. Then animate those vertices back and forth. Hope that helps.

A better way would probably be to use a lattice and/or a cluster handle and put a vibration expression (like a sin function) on the handle and render it out with motion blur.

# 3 04-04-2011 , 04:52 PM
how to you use the lattice/cluster thing? and wats a vibration expression? haha im a noob user added image

# 4 04-04-2011 , 04:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
I suggested the easiest way, which is what you were looking for, but if you want to make it more believable you'll probably have to do a bit of research and tutorials. A lattice is a deformer, try experimenting with it (it's in the animation module under create deformers I think). A cluster is a handle that can move multiple vertices (refer to Maya help on more info on how to create them).
A vibration expression isn't anything specifically in maya, I was simply saying that you could use an expression to drive the motion making it look more like a vibrating string. You'll probably have to do a few tutorials to learn about expressions. Maybe I shouldn't have suggested it. Go with the first simpler option.

# 5 05-04-2011 , 04:04 PM
haha alrighty i'll let u know how it goes! thanks!!

# 6 07-04-2011 , 11:43 PM
didnt go soo good haha but i got it to look alright teacher loved it now working on muscles and need help!!